PDA

View Full Version : CA testiing with Salifert test

chucknsheila
03/20/2007, 08:16 PM
When testing Ca with a salifert test is it when the liquid in the vial makes a big change and goes from pink/red to purple/violet or as it says in the instructions until blue? I continuously read high CA-450 ppm. I do not add any CA; use plain RODI for top off except when PH gets too low. Then I use kalk water, 1 out of 3 days about. I have done this for about 1 month and still my CA reads about 450. I have done at least 4 water changes of 15% each. Alk stays good and all else is good.
HELP

Engine 7
03/20/2007, 08:27 PM
Do you have clams or sps in your tank? What kind of salt do you use? You say you do nont add ca, but adding kalk is adding ca.

Jeff

chucknsheila
03/20/2007, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the reply!
I have 1 clam, about 5 frags / small hard corals, frogspawn, about a dozen or so various mushrooms ect. I did not think the kalk would add much CA. Rod from Rod's Reef is advising g me how to correct and I'm doing as told, but the CA wont come down. I know 450 is not that high but I'd like it to be correct. Rod said top-off with just RODI water until CA comes down, and then goes back to kalk for top-off. My PH started to drop after about 3 days and Rod advised to start toping -off again with the kalk un till the PH came back up. I have been doing this for about or just over 1 month. I'm using Coralife scientific grade marine salt. I have checked the cA from my new mix and it actually is a little low??
Any ideas

Engine 7
03/20/2007, 08:49 PM
Well, Rod is the man. Sounds like you are doing things correctly. Are you sure you are using the test kit correctly? I use the Slaifert myself and it can be tricky the first few times.

Jeff

chucknsheila
03/20/2007, 08:53 PM
i just last week purchased the Salifert test kit. It actually shows my CA lower that my preevious test kit and is easyer to use.
i find that I see a great change in color from pink/red to purple/violet at about 400ppm but to get true blue I'm at about 450ppm.