PDA

View Full Version : Problems replacing the bulbs on a 48 inch Outer Orbit

cnordstrom
03/15/2007, 01:26 PM
I bought a 48 inch Outer Orbit 2x150W HQI a little over a year ago, and it is time to replace the bulbs. Problem is, when I tried to remove the cover plate on one of the power compacts, salt had become encrusted on the plate and it's now impossible to slide the plate off. The back plate came off after about an hour of work, and the metal halides came off no problem.

Any suggestions for how to slide out a 48" cover that is stuck in pretty good?
:confused:

cnordstrom
03/15/2007, 05:09 PM
I can't be the ONLY person who has experienced this problem, can I???

HowardW
03/15/2007, 05:34 PM
If you're talking about the clear acrylic shield, then spraying a little warm water along the seams will dissolve the encrusted salt after a few minutes and the shield will slide out. Unplug the fixture first.

cnordstrom
03/16/2007, 06:56 AM
Thanks Howard, but that was the first thing I tried. That thing is in there good. I'll try it again this weekend, though, and see what happens.

Rhodesholar
03/16/2007, 10:09 AM
I think I used a fondu skewer (wood) to clean the groove as best I could and then I hit it with water. With the water don't be shy about it either Obviously don't put it in the bath tub or take a shower with it. Mine took a wet sponge and some soaking but I got them out with no damage eventually.

joe_sk2
03/16/2007, 12:20 PM
Warm water and vinager always works for me. I also use an old toothbrush with the solution for reg cleaning

cnordstrom
03/16/2007, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the posts, folks. I'll try those options tomorrow!

fisher99
03/17/2007, 06:47 AM
I had the same problem with my 48" outer orbit. Warm water and vinegar finally got it loose. I cleaned out the groove it fits into and when I replaced it I wiped a thin coat of vaseline on the edge of the shield and hace not had a problem since.
I will replace the vaseline every few times I clean the shield.
Hope this helps.

fisher99
03/17/2007, 06:49 AM
I had the same problem with my 48" outer orbit. Warm water and vinegar finally got it loose. I cleaned out the groove it fits into and when I replaced it I wiped a thin coat of vaseline on the edge of the shield and have not had a problem since.
I will replace the vaseline every few times I clean the shield.
Hope this helps.