PDA

View Full Version : Pairing

Willie_6
03/15/2007, 11:43 AM
I am considering buying a clown fish to pair with my existing ocellaris. I hear that clownfish will have a unique relationship with one another. I do not know what to expect by the pairing of 2 clownfish. Can someone explain to me what pairing really is? Thanks.

GSMguy
03/15/2007, 11:54 AM
the pairing is them establishing their sex with the intent of breeding.

clownfish are born sexless and in nature live in large groups most of the clowns in the group will remain sexless and the largest most dominant will become the female and the mate she chooses will become male.

in the tank its similar but with Few expetions it is very difficult to keep groups so we mostly keep pairs a pair will of course consist of a male and a female

the clown you have now is established in the aquarium and for our purposes we can assume it has made the transition to female (they do that when alone)

the best way to do this would be to go to a LFS that has a group of juvenile tank raised ocellaris pic one that is smaller than yours half the size or less works best.

then since there is a good chance the clown you have now is going to want to defend her territory (your tank)

use this method that i describe in this thread to pair them its cheap and works great

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1045296

im sure i missed something and there are others with more experience but this is something to get it started.

Willie_6
03/15/2007, 12:08 PM
Good info. Thanks for the link. You mention it is more of a brreeding thing. Since I am not trying to breed them, is there anything to gain by pairing two of them in a regular tank?

GSMguy
03/15/2007, 12:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9483284#post9483284 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Willie_6
Good info. Thanks for the link. You mention it is more of a brreeding thing. Since I am not trying to breed them, is there anything to gain by pairing two of them in a regular tank?

no they pair up for breeding, but the relationship beetween the two clowns is very cool
they hang out together they engage in dominance dances its very cool.

reverendmaynard
03/15/2007, 12:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9483385#post9483385 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
no they pair up for breeding, but the relationship beetween the two clowns is very cool
Not to mention that if they don't pair up, they'll likely fight to the death.

GSMguy
03/15/2007, 01:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9483688#post9483688 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reverendmaynard
Not to mention that if they don't pair up, they'll likely fight to the death.

pairing done properly is fairly simple check out that link i posted

reverendmaynard
03/15/2007, 01:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9483712#post9483712 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
pairing done properly is fairly simple check out that link i posted
I understand pairing, however, it seemed like the OP was questioning the need for pairing if he didn't want them to breed. I just wanted to make it clear to him that pairing is necessary, not only for breeding, but for their ability to coexist in the same tank.

Willie_6
03/15/2007, 01:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9483385#post9483385 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy

Ok, now we're talking. That does sound cool.

Willie_6
03/15/2007, 01:54 PM
Does anyone know if shrimp pairing works the same way?