PDA

View Full Version : ? for the return pump tech guys/ Chiller techs

Avalanche Wolf
03/15/2007, 03:42 AM
I am getting a chiller in the next few days and trying to figure out how i am going to plum it .

The manual suggest 3 ways.

Plum it to a sump - add a pump
plum it to a wetdry sump - add a pump
plum it using a canister filter - use the filter as a pump

As i dont have a sump on this tank and dont see being able to have one for some time as it is quite exspenive atleast until i can order my RK2 controller to get one I will need to run it like the canister setup , except i really dont want to fire up the canister since they are huge nutriant producers.

On top of this i have a pretty high tank as well. From the ground to the top of the tank is 5ft.

For a pump option it really only looks like a Mag 7 has a 700 gph at 0ft head and a 420gph at 5ft. The chiller suggests a pump GPH of 400-800 and this will fall in this range .

Does this option sound right ? Do i need to calc in the Head going down also ?

Or would it be just as east to make a overflow box to a small 30ish gallon sump and then return the water using the pump back up and setup the chiller that way. ( i say 30 as I have tried to get a 55 in there but no way it would fit ) I know i can get a 30ish off craigslist pretty cheap if not free.

I am just trying to stay as low on the bank account as possible as i have spent waaaaaay to much money and lucky enough to have a wife that has kept the comments to a min but I know I am starting to push my luck :lol:

Trying to get this done right away as I have already cut back 2 hours on the lighting schedl as tank temps have rose 2' in the last 2 weeks and summer isnt even here yet.

Well going to try and sleep now even though I will turn the comp off and just sit there and spin about this :rollface:

dots
03/15/2007, 10:09 AM
Sumps are easy to do, I think you are kinda halfway to needing one and you have to get the water to the chiller anyway........Get a used tank or a cheap PetCo and build yourself a sump.........I think the look, and plumbing will be easier and better in the long run......that way you can relocate the heater, add a filter sock perhaps and a phosban reactor.

When you decide on a plumbing design, we can help with the pump gph needed based on that.

I have a good link for that one............

kevin95695
03/15/2007, 10:28 AM
On the cheap? Ghetto sump. Get a rubbermaid tub at a farm/feed store like 'tractor supply co.' Or any size rubbermaid for that matter... I'd get as big a tub as you can fit and still leave room for your ex-sump equipment. If it's under your stand nobody's gonna look at it anyway. Us DIYers totally respect a ghetto sump. Better yet, what's in the room behind your aquarium?

Avalanche Wolf
03/15/2007, 11:24 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9482416#post9482416 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kevin95695
Better yet, what's in the room behind your aquarium?

The Kitchen and the fridge so that I not going to work.

Yah I would like to get the sump built to get the Protien skimmer , Wedry and heaters out of the display.

The most expsenive part of it seems like the return pump. I can build the overflow that is not a problem I already have DIY plans for that and the stand already has areas for pluming to run.

:( When does the maddness end ? :(

kevin95695
03/15/2007, 11:27 AM
Craigslist, ebay and RC classifieds bro'.

dots
03/15/2007, 11:49 AM
You don't need to buy an Eheim or Mag for the return.....most go WAY overboard on these........

I have been using a Via Aqua 3300 for my return and a 2600 for the chiller/phosban reactor circuit for two years.........

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_powerheads_pumps_viaaqua.asp?CartId=

An older pic and have added some stuff, (chiller, remote sandbed, reactor, 2-part doser).......all it is a box of water and nothing more..........I didn't go overboard and really its just a glorafied mock-up that ended up being a little more permanent, and has worked just fine.......just to illustrate it doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg (the skimmer alone cost more than the rest seen)......but oh so convienent to have!!!
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f285/dougspivey/SumpMarch06.jpg

Avalanche Wolf
03/15/2007, 12:17 PM
REALLY !! I got that pump in a trade but it needs a new prop and I can find one ANYWHERE. I also need the barb.

Then I would just need the pluming and the tank.

Checked craigs but nothing on there . I did see some tanks at YR that would be perfect I think right when you come in the door , fact I think that is what they are for. Hmmm well looks like a sump in the process. Atleast it will give me the reason to clean out the stand.

Avalanche Wolf
03/15/2007, 12:55 PM
Everywhere I am looking for that impeller it is almost 35 bucks shipped for a 50 dollar complete pump. :(