PDA

View Full Version : Bicolor Bleny

cirujano
03/14/2007, 10:21 PM
It is safe to introduce a bicolor bleny in my future sps tank?

Clown-N-Around
03/14/2007, 10:24 PM
I have a bicolor blenny in my tank. He is pretty much a model citizen. He mostly sits in his favorite rock crevice. I have had him in mixed reef (with lots of SPS), softie reef and now the anemone tank.

What was your concern?

CHARLIE AGUILAR
03/14/2007, 10:26 PM
Must say that mine has tons of personality! I think it would be fine addition.

roguemonk
03/15/2007, 03:13 AM
Algae-eating blennies will potentially nip at anything that looks like algae, on occasion, but I don't think you'll find it doing too much damage to corals. I don't think they're recommended for clams, but I don't know what people's actual experience is...

Thanks,

Brad

Clown-N-Around
03/15/2007, 09:59 AM
Thanks, Brad. I had not heard that warning.

Way to research cirujano! :) It is nice to see someone making sure an animal will be a good fit for their system before adding it!

Mine has not done any nipping of corals or clams in the 3 years I have had him. And like Charlie said, personality galore!

roguemonk
03/15/2007, 10:23 AM
My guess is that they won't nip at anything if they have a good supply of algae including something like nori.

If they get hungry enough they may go exploring...

They cannot be kept with seahorses due to the danger (so I'm told) that they think the seahorse flesh is algae and start nipping on them. But again, I have no personal experience with that. I've never seen mine attack anything other than algae, as far as I can recall.

They are very interesting, hardy fish. I recommend them!

Thanks,

Brad

"Umm, fish?"
03/15/2007, 03:36 PM
Mine was a decent citizen before I lost him. He never touched any of the corals or clam that I saw. In fact, he was pretty planktivorous for me (I never saw him touch any algae). He did on occasion get mad at hermit crabs near his tunnels and head butt them off of the live rock. In fact, he seemed to get a lot of enjoyment out of that.

CHARLIE AGUILAR
03/18/2007, 05:37 PM
Well i still like my bi color but just tried to introduce a pair of wrasse from the qt and my bi color has punked both of them for going in its holes in the rock.
So now comes the fun part, some one has to go to another tank.Never thought there would be a problem but i guess lesson learned, i think if the tank was 75gal or better proably would be ok. Just thought Id share!