PDA

View Full Version : Do all anemone's sting?

MikeP471612
03/14/2007, 11:05 AM
I have a clone of a GBTA (although he has never really bubbled up) in my tank. He recentley moved a few inches and now sits right beside a feather duster and they often touch a little bit. I would have thought that the duster was getting stung but it doesn't seem to bother him?

cschweitzer
03/14/2007, 12:49 PM
Dusters(especially the feathered part), do not compete against anems for the most part. It is a worm in a sheath with a corona of partical collectors. Not much there exposed that can be stung and a BTA should not have much negative effect on it, but still watch it.

To answer your question...YES. All anemones sting due to nematocysts released from their body. The power of the sting is very dependant on species, lineage, temperment, location, and tankmates. Most of the time an anem(especially BTA) sting will not be than harmful, but put it near something it dislikes, competes with, gets agitated by, or is just weak and it will sting until one or the other outcompetes its rival.

cschweitzer
03/14/2007, 12:52 PM
Put your hand(preferably gloved, unless you are immune) in next to the anem and agitate the water; let the tentacles swipe the glove slowly and you will feel it almost attach to the glove. That is its way of stinging the prey to death and sucking them in. Again BTA's are on the lower end of nematocyst intensity, though.

MikeP471612
03/14/2007, 01:15 PM
Thanks!

Big Brother
03/15/2007, 11:37 AM
my bta is doing battle right now with a couple of aiptasia.

i hope my nem wins haha

GSMguy
03/15/2007, 11:59 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9483060#post9483060 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Big Brother
my bta is doing battle right now with a couple of aiptasia.

i hope my nem wins haha

kill the aptaisia they will annoy the BTA forever and they clone themselves rapidly