PDA

View Full Version : Wrasse and pygmy angelfish

BCreefmaker
03/14/2007, 02:32 AM
i have a 20 gallon with 2 skunk clowns, 1 six line wrasse, and 1 pgmy angelfish and 3 diffrent types of shrimp, and clean up crew. the skunk clowns were the first to go in. then the wrasse and a firefish (r.i.p. :( ), and then the shrimp. everything was great untill the firefish went carpet surfing. i wanted to get a fish that would have less of a lust to jump out of my open top tank. but now it seems like the wrasse is extremely mean to anything new too the tank... he picked a fight with my coral banded shrimp as soon as it got into the tank he also nipped at the emrald crab i got, but didnt get much of a reaction and moved on. when i added the angel as soon as the wrasse saw him he chased the angel all around the tank for about 15 mins, then trapped him under a rock. so i built the angelfish a little fortress out of LR and empty shells that the wrasse couldent get in. the angel fish was happy to go in, but the wrasse tried to get into the little LR fortress any way he could, but i added more shells to any holes he found. on the second day he left the fortress alone and only chased the angel back into the fortress when he saw him, and sometimes the wrasse didnt even attack him right away.
my questions are:
1) is this just the wrasse's way of establishing dominance with new tank mates? or is it beacuse the both eat pods?
2)will he eventually get used to the angel, or will the always be some bullying?
3)the angelfish was really rough looking after the 15min chase. his fins were torn and he looks like hes covered in briuses but hes still eating and swimming about, with his LR fortress the wrasse can get near him really. will he most likely recover?

Chrsnwk
03/14/2007, 08:12 AM
Your tank is rather full already... I think hard about whether or not you want to add more. That being said... I have a six line in my 125, and he's cruising around constantly. He's a bit of a bastard when I've introduced some new fish after him too, but after a couple days of bullying, they seem to reach an understanding.

The beating the angel took will probably heal up over time.

Good Luck.

tk1360
03/14/2007, 08:20 AM
I heard of one guy in the local club using a mirror against troubled fish. They will attack the mirror and not bring able to reach it hit their forehead against the glass. When they sense they cannot win they will be cowed and humbled a bit.

This is not my personal method as have been luck and picky with what I add and at what time but if you are just looking for alternatives to the fortress then potentially give it a try and report back.