PDA

View Full Version : When buying Clown fish - -

Nicholas89
03/13/2007, 09:25 PM
what should I look for?

I'm buying 2 percs for my 20gallon, and I want to get them at the same time. Should I get two at the same size? Or try and get some size separation?

Help

Willie_6
03/13/2007, 09:39 PM
My understanding is that one must be bigger than the other. THis will help determine the sex as well as avoid fighting. Look for the usual when buying any fish. Make sure they are behaving normal and look healthy with no signs of ick. I also highly recommend tank raised. Tank raised clowns are easy to come by. Hope this helps.

Slakker
03/14/2007, 02:37 AM
Nope...if you get two of roughly the same size at the same time (as long as they're both young, in a tank with other fish at the store, and not the dominant/largest one in that tank) you've got a good chance of them successfully pairing up.

There may be a better chance if they're different sized, or it may happen faster.

GSMguy
03/14/2007, 10:17 AM
i disagree with slakker i think even getting juveniles you should get two that are different in size its ver imprortant allot of brother sister pairs like that end up fighting around 8 months later when they both decide they are the femal

TheVillageIdiot
03/14/2007, 10:42 AM
it's a question of likelihood.

if you get 2 of the same size, it is more likely that they will take longer to sort out who gets to be her and who gets to be him where as w/ one significantly larger than the other, you would think it more likely that the big one would establish dominance more quickly and the fighting would be done sooner.

btw, if you can, get captive bred/aquacultured clowns.