PDA

View Full Version : New problem to solve

adova
03/13/2007, 05:55 PM
I would like to get some input on a solution to a problem i am working on.

I have a suction in the back of my tank that feeds my closed loop. It is basically a 2" bulkhead that was covered with a plastic sink strainer to avoid letting in any critters. Unfortunately, the snails still like to head to it and get caught up in the suction and get sucked out and through the strainer (which I think is screwing up my closed loop OM 4-way).

So I have been trying to think of a way to keep them from getting there. My best idea to date is to put a cylinder around the bulkhead. I am hoping that the snails can't crawl up - over the lip - and into the cylinder. Does this sound right?

Shawn

Zooid
03/13/2007, 06:10 PM
you may have to cut some teeth into the edge of the cylinder if you decide to go this way.
I might have the same problem with the way mine is plumbed. I was thinking about putting a 2" Tee on the bulkhead. I was thinking (maybe incorrectly) that it might reduce the suction since there will be 2 openings to distribute the force to. Again I may be wrong but we'll see hehe

adova
03/13/2007, 07:04 PM
TEETH!!!! That is extacly what I was missing. Now - what could I use as a cylinder without going crazy to find an exact fit acrylic tube? Hmm - maybe one of these disposable cutting boards - or a tupperware with the bottom cut out and reduced to size.

Shawn

Questin
03/13/2007, 11:27 PM
I had a problem once with hermit crabs knocking things over, and teeth took care of that problem for me too. But it was the teeth of an Atlantic Spotted Hawk Fish. No more hermit crabs . . . or Shrimp . . . or Lettuce Nudibranchs . . .

I hate that damn fish! Lucky for me, one Lettuce Nudibranch too many for it. Toxic OverLoad!

BTW, if you have a Rotozip, you can pretty much make the teeth you need. Best tool in the world!

roguemonk
03/14/2007, 01:24 AM
Make a long strainer by taking 2" PVC and drilling small holes, cap it on the end. That's the cheapest way, but fairly labor intensive.

I bought a cheap plastic colander, rectangular, from Wal-Mart, and sealed it and drilled a hole for a bulkhead, so I have about the surface area of an 8 X 10 picture through which the closed loop pulls. It's fairly gentle. But it's huge. :-)

HTH,

Brad

Msoar16
03/14/2007, 07:57 AM
I've got two 2 1/2" c/l intakes with 4" strainers feeding my Dart. My snails actually clean the strainers and have no problem getting stuck, just too much flow on your system. Try putting some filter floss over the intake. The snails will still get stuck, but not killed. Just pull the floss off when you have some snails stuck to it and they will fall right off.

murfman
03/14/2007, 08:46 AM
I have 3, 1" inlets for my Dart and have no suction issues. I used sink strainers and colored them black with a sharpie. They fit right over the bulkhead and with a bead of silicon attach right to the back wall. I put in a piece of plastic accross the center hole to make it smaller.

zerillit
03/14/2007, 03:33 PM
How about a outdoor drain screen, they are used for keeping leaves etc out of drains. They are plastic & come in smaller sizes.

adova
03/14/2007, 03:41 PM
Well, the idea of the "collar" and teeeth will work for the snails, but I am afraid it won't save the fish. I just found my new watchman dead stuck to the intake. He probably just got too close.

But I have another idea. I am going to attach black PVC pipe to the bulkhead and make a 180 degree U shape that will point the intake towards the back of the tank. I will only leave about 1/8" so nothing can get back in there.

I seems that this has created another problem. All of the snail guts have clogged up the Ocean Motion 4 way, which I now need to pull apart and clean - not fun!

Shawn

Zooid
03/14/2007, 04:08 PM
be careful about only leaving 1/8" between the intake and the back wall, you may start cavitating the pump because it can't draw in enough water. You may be fine but keep an ear out for it.