PDA

View Full Version : Considering a Tunze DOC skimmer! Good choice?

spankey
03/13/2007, 05:48 PM
Well due to my sump return area only having about 8 x 11 inches of room I searched all over for a decent skimmer that would fit this footprint. I now have the Coralife Super Skimmer and it works quite well. However its the 65g model and my tank is 75 gallons and the sump is 30. So its somewhat underated but working well. It can be better though, thus me deciding to upgrade to a new skimmer.

I wanted a recirc skimmer but there just isn't room in the sump for one...

The TUNZE's footprint is perfect for my issue... I have been reading allot and they seem to have great reps in the line of dependability and production....

For the price it seems to be a good choice.. I am most likely going with the 9005 model....

Anyone with these skimmers, how do you like em? Do they perform good and are they finicky......

Thanks
Spankey

manderx
03/13/2007, 06:07 PM
get the 9010 over the 9005 for sure. 9005 doesn't come with the sump kit and the tiny cup will need dumping way too often.

i really dig my 9010.
http://foresters-inc.com/mander/9010.jpg

tboneman
03/13/2007, 07:27 PM
Second the 9010 instead. I have the 9010 on my 90 gal mixed reef and it performs well. Also, check out the tunze forum, which has a lot of good info about these skimmers there. Roger Vitko, the tunze rep is very conscientous about answering any questions you might have.

spankey
03/13/2007, 07:33 PM
I am snagging a 9010 from a good buddy of mine this week.
Thanks for the info.
Spankey

bigfruits
03/14/2007, 05:27 PM
i am also interested in this skimmer because of the small footprint. it will give me more space for a nice sized fuge.

how do these skimmers perform compared to similarly priced recirc skimmers?

spankey
03/14/2007, 06:39 PM
All I will say is I have the 9010 now and its simply awesome... Plug it in, set the air screw and forget it!!! I bought it from my buddy and he said in the 6 months he owned it he NEVER had to adjust it once! Even after its cleaned most skimmers act up, this one or these models do not... No finicky settings.... Large collection cup.. Triple the size of my CSS 65.. I LOVE IT!!!

I have it running now 10 minutes and its foaming like a rabid dog.....

I didn't have room for a recirc skimmer so this was an excellent option.. Its smaller than my CSS 65 and it looks like it would triple the production!!! Small price to pay for peace of mind.. I have allot of money tied into my corals. Mostly SPS and this makes me feel 100% better that its running in my system right now:)

Again, its strictly opinion though... MINE!!!! I have read though that wholesalers can't keep the line in their posession.. They are selling that fast....

Check em out...

tboneman
03/14/2007, 06:52 PM
I love the rabid dog analogy!