PDA

View Full Version : white Fungus + Ammonia Levels..HELP

Miguel06
03/13/2007, 07:58 AM
Hi Guys and Girls

Im new to the marine aquarium game,
I have just set up a marine tank with 2 dwarf lions and a snowflake eel. I have put severl peices of live rock and have the liquid bacterium which I am putting in every day. I did not cycle as the person in the aqaurium store said there is no need if u r putting in live rock and the bacterium, however the ammonia level is about 2.0ppm. I know this is extremely high and I am putting in water ager to try to remove the ammonia as well as adding copious amounts of the live bacteria to encourage growth and have also changes 1/3 of the water. The fish are still alive however i know that this is not a good thing for fish the fish. I also have a white algae like thing growing on portions of the live rock.

If you could guide me on what to do that would be great. Its not a huge tank and I thhought that if worse comes to worse that I should take all the water from the tank and start again.

HELP ME PLEASE!

hmello@bermexin
03/13/2007, 08:01 AM
How big is the tank? How long has it been set up? Continue water changes about 10% every other or every third day until parameters settle down.

Miguel06
03/13/2007, 08:08 AM
Hi

The tank as been set up for about 4 days, i know that you are meant to have the tank do the fishless ammonia cycle for about 2ish weeks but as the guy at the aquarium store said it would be ok, I took his judgment, the size of the tank is approx 13 gallons,
it is just to start up until I move to my own place where I will increase the tank size.
I just dont want the fish to die.
Is the white algae I should be worried about?

cartouche
03/13/2007, 08:17 AM
Miguel,

With all your good intentions you really couldn't have made a worse start. The cycle should take anything between 6-8 weeks and even then you have to take things real slow.
If I was you I would take your live stock back to LFS, learn by this and start afresh. There are lots of threads here with how to start.

Its sounds to me as though your LFS just want your money and can't be bothered to part with any sound advise.. I would steer clear of them.

Good luck.

bobbbm
03/13/2007, 08:17 AM
Sigh I hate to tell you this but I would never use that LFS again.... If it were me I would return the fish do some reading and start a real cycle. This is NOT a hobby for the impatient. Take your time... read and learn this is a marathon not a sprint.

Good luck

hmello@bermexin
03/13/2007, 08:49 AM
"I have just set up a marine tank with 2 dwarf lions and a snowflake eel."

You need to take these back to you LFS immediatley. Even if your tank was set up for a year a 13 gallon tank will not accomodate the bio-load. The white algae on the rocks is the least of you worries at this time. Your ammonia is going to increase astronomically until you get this livestock out. Once out you should see a more normal cycle run through for the first time. keep in mind that everytime you add something to your tank you will get some spike in ammonia nitrites and nitrates as the bacteria increase to handle the load.

The LFS did a great disservice to you an I would, after you get them to take the livestock back, never go there again if it were me.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you do.

juniormc8704
03/13/2007, 09:18 AM
aside from fact that your tank is not cycled, that is way to much fish for a 13 gallon tank regardless if its cycled. Dont get discouraged, just take a deep breath and start over. Also if this is your first tank, i would recomend you start a bit larger of a tank if you can swing it. The more water you have the more mistakes you can get away with. With so little water you are going to have to be vigilant on water changes, and testing. I started with a 28 gallon, and its been smooth sailing. If you need to work with what you got youll do fine. Just keep in mind what the fish is going to be when its full size. As a general rule 1 inch of fish for every 2 gallons. Wish you the best of luck. Be sure to listen to these guys on here, they are an invaluable resorce of knowledge.

HTH,

Paul