PDA

View Full Version : What kind of nem is this?

magdelan
03/13/2007, 01:04 AM
I have posted before with questions about my nem. When I bought it, it was labeled a neon green bta. I thought that I almost lost it a few months ago but after leaving it be, it has come back and now seems to be doing well. The one this is...it is ALWAYS on the sand and if I knew exactly what it was, I could care for it better. In this pic, he is on a rock because I put it there. He's back on the sand again. What do you think?? By the way, it's foot it the same color as the rest of it.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g37/fishflopy/TankSony002.jpg

Thanks, mike

Namyar
03/13/2007, 06:37 AM
Just looking but a nice shot

SVXH6
03/13/2007, 09:22 AM
well its very bleached. judging by the tentacle density and its love for the sand i would say H. Crispa possibly but would need a pic of the underside of the disk to be sure of that ID. it could also possibly still be a bleached BTA. if it chooses to place its foot in the sand let it and leave it be, moving it around is just making it take longer to get healthy. if it finds a comfortable spot just feed it heavily everyday and it should color up in no time.

magdelan
03/13/2007, 12:36 PM
Thanks Namyar ;)

Tony- You mention that I should feed it heavily but, it doesn't seem to want to take any food. When I (lightly) blow food at it with a squirt bottle, it grabs it for a few seconds but then lets it go. Also, he was in the same spot for a few months but then decided to go for a walk about 2 weeks ago. When he got on top of one of my zoa collonies, I moved him up to the rock where the picture was taken. He is now at the base of that rock with his foot in the sand. I'll try to get a nice shot of the underside of his foot later tonight.

Thanks, Mike

SVXH6
03/13/2007, 10:24 PM
what food are you offering? i would try (all small pieces of course) silversides, krill clams, shrimp, mysis, squid. find something it likes. also try soaking the fod in some selcon this sometimes gets a feeding respnose.also try some cyclopeeze.

magdelan
03/14/2007, 12:47 AM
Well, the food that I have is a mixture that I made (all of the fish love it). It is shrimp, mussels, scallops, garlic, spinach, and yeast. I portioned it and froze it. (When I do it again, I will add some vitamins) When I'm ready for it, I thaw it in some tank water. Anyway, Mr. Nem doesn't seem to like it. Is it too small for him maybe?? I can try some bigger pieces of shrimp, scallop, clam, or mussel... I also have tuna and salmon available. Also, is it possible that my tomato clown won't go near it because the nem is not healthy?

Thanks Svxh6!!

OT-can a Kenya tree and an Acan touch?

magdelan
03/14/2007, 03:05 AM
These were the best pics that I could get of it's foot. It was a bit akward inside the stand... under the tank... on my back... you get the idea.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g37/fishflopy/TankSony075.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g37/fishflopy/TankSony078.jpg

SVXH6
03/14/2007, 09:56 AM
i need to see a pic of the underside of the oral disk. no an acan will kill the kenya tree they shouldnt touch. try some of the foods i told you about .

magdelan
03/14/2007, 02:18 PM
I guess I'm confused about where the "underside" of the oral disk is. If it were a mushroom, would it be the spot at the top of the stem closest to the cap? Well, where the stem meets the cap? I appologize for my ignorance.

Thank you for your extended help!!!

mike

magdelan
03/15/2007, 12:57 AM
bump

SVXH6
03/15/2007, 10:26 AM
the disk is where the tentacles and mouth are. directly below that would be the underside. thinkof the foot as the stem and the top as the disk.

magdelan
03/15/2007, 01:04 PM
Ok. I'm going to have to touch it then in order to lift it up a bit to take a pic right? I'll do it tonight.

Thank you!!

magdelan
03/17/2007, 02:19 AM
svxh6- I will get a pic tomorrow. I have got home after "lights out" the last couple nights and have not been able to take a decent pic... I have tomorrow off. I fed him a nickle size piece of shrimp last night (Thursday night) and he ate it right away. Then, I fed him again tonight and again, he ate right away. About 2 hours later, he spit it out. Is every day too much for feeding?

Mike

SVXH6
03/17/2007, 08:52 AM
try every otherday.

magdelan
03/18/2007, 06:34 AM
This seems to be the best shot that I could get without p!ssing him off too much. Thanks for all of your help with this Tony, I appreciate your time.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g37/fishflopy/TankSony095.jpg

alphaferret
03/18/2007, 09:48 AM
I see some color coming back-I always used the silversides-whole or half depending on the size of nem.-I would say the health of the nem should come before id. In other words get it healthy and that will make id easier

Gary Majchrzak
03/18/2007, 09:56 AM
I think we can narrow the ID down to 3 anemones:
Heteractis crispa
Entacmaea quadricolor
or Macrodactyla doreensis

was the seller that ID'd the anemone as a BTA a reputable source?

Nice foot, BTW!

magdelan
03/18/2007, 10:18 AM
Gary- you've been pm'ed. Thanks for the possible IDs.