PDA

View Full Version : how much recycling can i expect???

lmh11706
03/12/2007, 09:27 PM
after two yrs i just yesterday upgraded from a 55g to a 75g-transferred all the live rock-about 80-90 lbs-85% of the same water-all the corals and about 8 small fish along with remaining snails and hermit crabs.

due to space constraints i cannot use the same hang on filter,not even in the sump for a few weeks like everyone wants me to. so i just hooked up a new sump filter.

so same live rock-same water-plus some new water to fill the 75-but a new glass tank-90% new live sand and a new filter-will my existing fish and corals make it?? will it be a total recycle again with all the algae spikes to go with it

L and L
03/12/2007, 09:48 PM
I doubt that you'd be able to measure a cycle. You'll probably have some things that died from what you touched or placed the live rock on top of it. Maybe some sponges that were exposed to air.

I moved my DSB and LR from rubbermaid tubs that sat that way for 3-4 months into my 100g when it was ready. .... and I didn't see a cycle at all. But, I kept my DSB and you're starting w/ a new one.... so, since you are missing some your biological filtering... you might want to reduce your feeding a little and see how your parameters react.

T Man
03/12/2007, 09:58 PM
When you think about it, it's essentially the same reef, just a new container. The new sand will will actually be better than the older. The old sand has a lot of decomposition as well as undesirable bacterias.
I have just recently upgraded to a 210g from a 125g. I added more rock, and completly new live sand. I waited for the tank to clear up and settle down before I added any of my livestock. I checked all of my parameters for stability for about one week then I slowly added my stock.
Although I have "flirted' with disaster on ocassion by adding corals too soon to my displays, I've been fortunate not to have lost any livestock. Just to be on the safe side I would give it at least a few days so you can monitor your params several times daily, I have found that keeping a logbook is well worth the effort. You can always refer back to your log to see what works and what does not. Good luck to you! TinMan