PDA

View Full Version : Need some lighting help

fishykeeper
03/12/2007, 07:11 PM
Hello,

Thanks to uncle sam and upcoming tax refund I am going to upgrade my lighting! I currently have two ice cap 660's powering 4 X 72 inch VHO bulbs. I was all set to get three 250 watt HQI metal halide retrofits into my canopy when I saw a display at Premier Reef that is using all T5's. I am currently having good success with LPS and softies but would like to try some SPS which I haven't had as much sucess with in the past.

Any thoughts about T5 versus MH? I don't really want to add a chiller so heat is a concern.

Thanks

artful-dodger
03/12/2007, 07:45 PM
If heat is a concern, then T-5s will probably work well for you, especially if you need to retrofit into a standard height canopy.

I put T-5s over my 140 (replaced PCs) and all the corals loved them (only easy SPS). Everything is under MH now and I've had some die-off along the sides of the tank where they are shaded from the direct lighting...T-5s give more even coverage edge-to-edge.

Clown-N-Around
03/12/2007, 07:48 PM
Most SPS will appreciate the light of MH. I have a couple of SPS pieces under my T5 doing great, but they are right at the surface where they receive the most light and flow.

Check out Sanjay's work on lighting, you will find there are big differences among various bulb set ups. http://www.rmrc.info/mambo/index.php?option=com_weblinks&catid=26&Itemid=23

You may be able to reduce the wattage (and consequently heat as well) by picking the MH bulbs with the highest PAR output. Or go with T5 and just know you will have to be choosy with your SPS placement.

---
;) Plus everything Gary said while I was composing this ;)

The Grim Reefer
03/12/2007, 07:51 PM
I would think about using 2 VHO Actinics with T5's. You would run 3 T5's on each ballast and grab another less expensive VHO ballast for the VHO actinics

With the IC ballasts the T5's will match the output of a lot of 250 watt halides if not pass them.

messy1messmer
03/12/2007, 08:13 PM
on my 120 i had no problem growing anything under my T5's. My lps for sure liked the T5 better. I jaave been reeding alot of good things about the kz figi purple bulbs and the other bulb they make. a friend put them in and loves them. i will pm you a link later.

fishykeeper
03/12/2007, 08:38 PM
Wow,
Thanks for all of the replies! I may lean towards the T5's and maybe put one or two MH if I have trouble with sps later.

Thanks again!

hawkfish21
03/12/2007, 09:34 PM
I have T5's as well and love them. Acro's & clams haven't been a problem.