PDA

View Full Version : who is using a CA reactor and Kalk Reactor?

mdrumm
03/12/2007, 12:06 AM
How are you using each? Trying to set up the kalk reactor and don't know the best way to use it with the CA reactor.

messy1messmer
03/12/2007, 10:38 AM
depending on how much more coral you got you might be finr for a while with just a kalk. I dripped kalk for over a year with no problems and only to have to add 40ml a week of 2 part. on my 240 i am using just kalk and 2 part.

mdrumm
03/12/2007, 10:46 AM
2 crocea, 1 gigas, 2 baby maxima clams, sps........

i have calcium needs. Already doing the ca reactor...was thinking of dripping kalk for ph reasons.

roguemonk
03/12/2007, 11:07 AM
For kalk you can use the topoff system:

Set up a reservoir for kalk that overflows into your sump. Plumb a valve from your RO/DI or another reservoir that you keep filled by some other method, and run that off a float switch in the sump that's set to activate (close) when the level drops below the normal operating level when the system is fully topped off. Water will flow into the reservoir when the level in the sump drops, pick up dissolved kalk, and drip it into the sump. Add kalk powder (Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime works and is cheap) as needed to establish your baseline equilibrium.

I don't know how that will interact with your reactor, but I would guess it will only kick in when your level drops (for example if you don't keep the kalk concentration high enough or your needs exceed the amount that is added due to evaporation).

HTH,

Brad

dajum
03/12/2007, 02:21 PM
I had the reactor set up the way Brad suggests. The reactor isn't capable of holding high pressure so I had a reservoir and used the gravity feed to the tank float valve. If you have questions let me know.

Dave