PDA

View Full Version : FS/T: Extra Equipment, Live Crushed Coral, etc.

roguemonk
03/11/2007, 07:47 PM
I needed to expand my existing sump for my overly ambitious multi-show-tank system, and had to give up the sump/refugium I was using to serve my QT. I have broken it down and it is ready to be snapped up by someone who needs some additional capacity for a fish room.

I have two muck buckets (16 gal) that can be plumbed in series or altered to your needs. One is drilled with a hole for a three-inch bulkhead and has a second hole for a 3/4" bulkhead which is low enough to allow drainage by gravity of most of the contents of that bucket. The other is drilled for a single 3" bulkhead only.

I drilled these holes for bulkheads formed using electrical PVC fittings, so they may not be identical to standard aquarium sizes if you plan to use your own bulkheads. But you could seal off the holds I made using the included equipment and drill your own, of course.

I am including the bulkheads I used along with some attached hardware. I have a connection using both 3" bulkheads (reduced to 2" of actual throughput), and a connection that has a single 3/4" ball valve one one side and a T that is open off one branch and has a 3/4" ball valve off the other.

If you plan to use it for a similar application, I would recommend breaking it down completely, cleaning out the old silicone, which I used too sparingly anyway when I was even more of a greenhorn than I am today, and resealing the connections to make it watertight.

One of the buckets (the refugium) has about 2-3" of crushed coral which is very much alive right now (I pulled out rock and found a decent-sized crab and a brittle star probably 5" across that had been living in there successfully for most of two years I would estimate. I took out the larger pieces of rock, but there is also some rubble and shells and caulerpa and some chaetomorpha. I believe I have another small bucket of dry crushed coral I'd be willing to throw in for a couple of bucks extra, also. Note, there is probably some aiptasia in there, but nothing else that I know of that you wouldn't want in any healthy system.

I'll part out or sell the whole thing:

Buckets and hardware: $15
Sand and water: $10

I'm working on my plumbing for the next hour or so, then probably dinner with the family. But if you want to grab it up tonight we can work it out. Otherwise let me know your schedule in the evenings and we'll find a time. PM me for details!

I'll post pics in the next reply.

Thanks,

Brad

Thanks!

Brad

roguemonk
03/11/2007, 07:51 PM
Here it was in its last moments as a functional part of the system:

http://www.reeflagoon.com/images/images_2007/2007-03-11_1_QTRemovingOldSumpRefugium.jpg

Broken down, so you can see a bit of the plumbing:

http://www.reeflagoon.com/images/images_2007/2007-03-11_2_QTOldSumpRefugiumDisassembled.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks!

Brad

roguemonk
03/11/2007, 07:56 PM
Sorry, I forgot to give you the measurements: Each bucket is about 14" tall and 21" in diameter. Plumbed together they were about 48" from stem to stern.

Thanks!

Brad