PDA

View Full Version : Anenome and too much light?

johnny
12/06/2000, 12:50 PM
Is there such a thing as too much light for an anenome? I have a bubbletip in my 30g long with a 250W MH Iwasaki over it. During the night he's nicely protruded and looks great, when the MH comes on in the morning he shrivels up to almost nothing and looks pretty bad. Could this possibly be associated with the Ph change? I don't think so because it happens pretty quickly, within 5 mins. Could my clowns be pickin on him too much? ANyone have any ideas?

Nick

olgakurt
12/06/2000, 03:31 PM
I think I replied to another of your post's but don't remember you saying how long you have had the anemone.

If you have had it for less than a couple of weeks it should begin to open more. I have found that they take time to acclimate to bright light despite others advice, but if the MH is directly over it in a shallow tank it could be a little much.

Usually they will move if the conditions (light) are not right. Is there sufficient space for it to hide its foot out of light?

Have you tried moving or raising the light a little to see if he changes condition?

johnny
12/06/2000, 03:35 PM
i've only had the anenome for two weeks (i think). I have tried a few of those things, but not all. He's open right now underneath the light so I'm really not sure what's up with him. I'll keep you posted though.

Nick

shoedogg
12/06/2000, 06:06 PM
dang johnny, i was just about to ask the same ? I just bough my BTA on sun , when i wake up in the morn , he looks beautiful (with the lights off) , when i get home from work and the lights are on he's all shriveled up, i have a 55 gal with 160 watts of light

Minotaur15
12/06/2000, 07:11 PM
Johnny,

Since you havent had it all that long, this question is very important: Did you acclimate the anemone in any way from its previously lighting? (my guess is that the lighting where it came from was severly lacking)

Psyduck
12/06/2000, 08:46 PM
I lost my BTA in a similar way. I originally have 4-55W PC lighting over my 90 gal tank, had him for about 1 year and he was doing great, very happy and healthy. Well I upgraded to 2-250W MH and did the slow acclimation process, and eventually he started moving. I figured ok, he will find a spot. Well he kept going behind the rock work and got smaller and smaller, since I couldnt feed him or get him any light. He finally disappeard now, which is very sad :(. The only thing I changed was the light. I was surprised he couldnt find a spot he liked, but they have a mind of their own. Maybe it will be different with you.

shred5
12/06/2000, 10:41 PM
I have one in my 40 gallon breeder under 250's and he is doing fine. The tank is only 16" deep and is about 1/4 the way up from the bottom of the tank. He does shrivel up when the lights come on but after about an hour he is huge. When I bought him he was under no flourescents for about two months. About every fifth day or so he stays small for most of the day. By the way he is the green variety and has a clown. I just started feeding him silversides twice a week. Before I just let the clown feed him, but I wanted to see if it would help him grow. Oh and he is off to the side of the 250 not directly under it and he has never moved. He is on the same rock I bought him on.

Dave

Tim
12/07/2000, 12:35 AM
I have a LTA under a 400wMH and he will close up everyday about 2 hours or so before lights out. But since he climbed to the middle of the tank (close to the light) I figured that the daily srinking was part of their normal behavior.
This was 5 months ago and because this one was doing well I decided to buy a bubble tip well within an hour the BTA was hidden under the rock work and died within a week :( I attribute this death to overdose of light.

johnny
12/07/2000, 01:16 PM
Thanks, it makes me feel a ton better to knwo this action is somewhat normal.

Nick

shoedogg
12/07/2000, 06:35 PM
yes, this makes me feel better too, i dont want to lose my first anenome, thanks everyone