PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest Insurance...???

seth16
03/11/2007, 01:09 AM
I am able to get my liscense today, but i know i wont, but when i do get a car, i have to get insurance also. I got a quote at $198 a month from a place called Direct, and $180 from Stae Farm. My friend got quoted at $113 a montyh from Direct, and i dont know what i did to get quoted at much more. I just want liability, i am guessing and bankin on the fact that i will get a small truck like a Ford Ranger or a CHevy S10, my dream truck is the Dodge Ram 1500, but that is a little much. Anywho, for a 16 year old with no traffic violoations or jail time, what insurance place would be the cheapest, i mean,m i know you cant give a price, but i mean, with your guys's expereince with all that. ..

sytanek
03/11/2007, 06:34 AM
Find an auto insurance world type place, they can usually get you bare minimum pip/liability for 100$ a month.

You didnt mention any details of the policy you asked for vs what he has.

Theres LOTS of reason why the price is different, deductibles, coverage amounts, different types of insurance, etc.

seth16
03/11/2007, 07:02 AM
ok, i got their number, will be calling them today, thanks. Well, i asked him about all of his detaisl, and i did exaclty the same, no deductibles, no other people over 14, no extra liability charges....the works...lol

teog
03/11/2007, 09:01 AM
I cant wait till you start driving, that way you are not home all day posting on RC.lol

chrisstie
03/11/2007, 09:25 AM
Hey Seth just FYI at your age - I don't know if you know this or not so I'll throw it out there- I took a driving course with a private company and whatever my parents insurance was at the time (they tacked me on as another driver) ..

I got a discount for a )being female b) good grades c)taking driving class to sort of offer more proof i know what i am doing behind the wheel

You're kind of stuck when it comes to option a and I am not sure if companies still discriminate like that or not, they just rate you based on safety statistics and your vehicle I think ? Just venturing a guess- but you may want to ask the agencies you are checking out about b and c ?

seth16
03/11/2007, 09:37 AM
Well actually, two agents that i talked too said that now, women get charged more per month due to statistics..."cell fones and makeup really come as a distraction" -Bill Pancake

I am looking into driving school now actually, and i do qualify for the "good Grade" discount, so i am good.....lol :)

chrisstie
03/11/2007, 10:31 AM
hah thats funny. But strangely the drivers i've seen? I can believe it.

That's great for the good grade discount and good luck finding a school. It's really cheesy but hey if it helps?

When I went through mine we went driving and I was given a little packet of homework and a study guide sort of book that prepares you for the written exam part of the test too

you'll do fine but it was actually my instructor instead of my parents or whoever that took me through the test with his car (i think there's a way around having to have insurance first doing it this way, that or i wasn't ready to drive my dumpy stickshift jeep to a test at the time lol they'd probably find something wrong with it)

mrferrit
03/11/2007, 12:40 PM
you might even try esurance online thats who i go through and its easy. and cheap for me now just a thought
ive been in 1 accident and ther was someone on the phone with me so good customer service i thought.

RayRay
03/11/2007, 12:49 PM
Try Farm Bureau. When I was looking for insurance they came in at half the price for better coverage. I've been with them for a couple of years now.

venom00viper
03/11/2007, 01:59 PM
another bid for esurance.com cheapest I found when I was under 25. Good luck!

-ben

pixiegirlie
03/12/2007, 10:50 PM
well im not sure who to go with for insurance but i know that a radar detector would have been a good investment for me when i first started driving-i had a few tickets within my first year and as you can guess my insurance went up. just a tip.

flfirefighter13
03/12/2007, 10:56 PM
FYI When I was liveing with my parents their insurance company required that I be insured on their policy. Not sur eif that was common practice but I imagine it may be since when I got married my insurance company required that my wife be listed on my policy..... oddly it dropped my rates, they figure married people ar emore responsible or something I guess. regardless have your parents check, My mom went through a horrible time getting her policy reinstated after they droped her for not adding me when I was 16.

sytanek
03/13/2007, 08:43 AM
You HAVE to be listed as a member of the household, but not added. It's hard to explain. When he gets his, he will have to list all members of the household but you only get charged for those you want to have added.

Yes you get a break in cost when you get married. Hooray! lol

chrisstie
03/13/2007, 08:46 AM
A break in cost when you get to 25 too I think.. go me 1 more year. Something to look forward to on a birthday?

sytanek
03/13/2007, 08:53 AM
Come on next december, lol I could use that break!

You get a slight break when you turn 21....not much tho

cowboyswife
03/13/2007, 09:01 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9463739#post9463739 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sytanek

Yes you get a break in cost when you get married. Hooray! lol

We did?

sytanek
03/13/2007, 09:03 AM
yes.

seth16
03/13/2007, 02:03 PM
Well, that wont be for a while then...lol