PDA

View Full Version : All Flo??????

Chago09
03/10/2007, 07:13 PM
anyone ever use this filter??? I read about it in Aquarium Fish Magazine.... it's called the All- Flo Freedom Filter. Any reviews on this product???

jer77
03/10/2007, 07:44 PM
I haven't used one, but I am skeptical of its claims. First it claims to surface skim, which is odd since all of the water enters into it through the bottom. Plus the skimmer doesn't seem to offer much for contact time. Also I'm not to fond of mechcanical or biological filtration through foam pads, which it has a few of. I am also interested in hearing if anyone has used this and how well it works.

drummereef
03/10/2007, 07:46 PM
It gets poor reviews. You'd be better off setting up a sump with a nice skimmer.

bbehring
03/10/2007, 08:16 PM
Well I for one have one in my 55 and it is a super unit! Ibelieve the claims are mostly in line with what the mfr claims, maybe just slightly overstated! It does in fact surface skim! Skims just a good as my aqua c. Anyway, I have been running mine for a few weeks now. While I don't have long term use yet, the unit is super quiet, skimms well, has great flow and allows for media use, such as media bag or poly filter 4"x6". Not a bad unit IMO. I would highly recommend it for those who are going sumpless or even for those who have sumps, like me!

Chago09
03/11/2007, 10:36 AM
i was mostly wanting it for skimming and water flow. How much did the unit cost you???? I can't seem to find any prices online

bbehring
03/11/2007, 11:15 AM
Hre's an online etailer link.

http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro/filters_freedomfilter.htm

PM me if interested.

Chago09
03/11/2007, 04:49 PM
so I assume people are not to crazy about this product then??? and they are very expensive, I can make a sump for much cheaper then that. I guess the only benefit is that it's in your tank and there is no worries about floods

bbehring
03/11/2007, 06:41 PM
Yep, I think that's the basic concept. Most don't start with reef ready tanks, but rather the smaller less expensive tanks to get into the hobby. Me myself, I have a sump but wanted to put a unit on line to see how it performed. This is a super unit that I believe has filled this niche and more. I do agree that the cost is a bit high. But based on pricing of all the other equipment for a reef out there running high, It's not that out of wack for the filtration and skimming that you receive plus the added bonus of keeping the water inside your tank (no sump or siphon overflows). I think if you are looking to keep SPS and thinking that this unit would be all you would need, I don't believe it come close to the flow you would need to matain these corals. This unit does provide added flow for my tank, which I do like. So with my overflow & sump return plus with my closed loop, I am running about 15x to 20x turnover. It also has good bio filtration based on it's design and what the mfr has listed. This unit is very easy to maintain. The skimmer is easily accessed and adjusted and if the pump fails, it's easily accessible. Plus the unit is fairly easy to simply pull out of the water if needed. Also there is no head on the pump (well maybe 6") but this allows for a cooler running pump and I would assume would lead to rewer pump failures. I am not affiliated with the mfr. I am simply a guy that was working, researching and looking to set up a reef and that thought I'd throw one in my tank to give it a try. I'm glad that I did as it has worked great for me.