PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion on sump pumps

Defcon
08/14/2002, 01:24 PM
Hey ive started up a 30 gallon high tank and im making a sump tank. I was wondering what people thought of mags or rios or whaterver. ive seen a lot of rios on ebay. so lets hear what people have to say about pumps.

drscheck
08/14/2002, 01:27 PM
I have used both Rios and Mags, and I will never buy another Rio, I've had problems with them all, from not starting after powering them down to impellors breaking. THe 2 mag pumps I have now have never glich yet. But I keep a spare on hand at all times.

Defcon
08/14/2002, 01:49 PM
what about a cap?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2045630592

KBCobra
08/14/2002, 03:09 PM
IMO, that pump is too small. A Mag 5 would be a good choice.

ReeferMac
08/14/2002, 03:43 PM
I would recommend avoiding Rio's.

While personally I've never had much trouble (used a 2500 HP for return for a while), I've heard of far too many horror stories associated with that brand of pump. Failed housings, burnt wires, leaking oils... Several people have had their entire tanks wiped out, because one of those pumps failed.

Now that's not to say there aren't people that have had Mag's or other manufacturer's pumps kill their tanks, I just don't know of any...

- Mac

sschafer
08/14/2002, 05:18 PM
Like Mac, I too have been running Rios for a number of years. I have a Rio 2100 and Rio 2500 that have been running without issues for at least 2 years now. That being said, with all of the negative comments I have heard about Rios, specifically the 2100, I don't think I would buy another at this point in time. I have heard that many of the issues have been resolved, but can not confirm.

Steve