PDA

View Full Version : Starting a new setup 155 bow or 200+

originalozzyo
03/10/2007, 02:59 PM
I'm not new to the hobby but i am finally going to be taking the step for setting up a large system. The first dilemma is what tank to order. I can't decide on what tank i should get. I like both but i am starting to lean toward the 200 gal and up size for the same price of a 155 bow. Can anybody give their past experiences with these types of tanks. Pro's & con's would be much appreciated. I'm going to order the tank this weekend so i hope a whole bunch of people will look at this thread. Thanks.

bertoni
03/10/2007, 09:32 PM
I don't like the bow front tanks because of the distortion from the curve. Other people think they're great, though. It's a personal choice. I'd go with the larger volume, for sure.

jdm01
03/10/2007, 09:50 PM
I like the square/rectangle tanks as well. With the larger tanks you seem to get much more choice in terms of height, depth, width. To me it feels easier to find lights and put stuff in the stand under the tank.

chrisstie
03/10/2007, 09:59 PM
I agree. I was at a store and saw a massive bow front tank and I was like wow whats that huge fish?! Then when it swam around toward me where my vision wasn't so distorted from the bow it turned out to be just a little chromis. I was like... man that'd be annoying to take pictures through!

coast2coast7390
03/11/2007, 01:58 AM
bigger for the same or a little more is always better

corals b 4 bills
03/11/2007, 02:21 AM
If I here one more bowfront distortion BS......I have owned bows, I have a bow, I am NOT blind, If there were distortion from this tank I would buy another, I am currently looking at a used 500 gallon tank at my LFS for 10.K Trust me most people who say distortion have never owned one, Look at a couple of pics on RC in the members gallery and in person I think you would like the bow - Hey maybe all your fish and coral will look bigger with a bow could be a good thing!

bertoni
03/11/2007, 03:12 AM
Well, I have a 12g glass nano that I took down because I didn't like looking at it. Perhaps your tank is better behaved.

corals b 4 bills
03/11/2007, 01:32 PM
12 Gal. is a like looking into a drinking glass, a little different than a 6 foot panel.

weaver5
03/11/2007, 01:37 PM
I have a 72 gal bow front and a 90 gal rectangle tank.I do not have a problem with distortion but I way prefer the 90 gal.I just like that it seems to provide more room for rock and coral stacks.Also it was alot easier to build a canopy for the 90.But that is just my opinion.Scott

DSMpunk
03/11/2007, 03:23 PM
If you can afford to go bigger, then go bigger! Thats my motto.

poppin_fresh
03/11/2007, 07:42 PM
I wont buy another bow. I like mine, but after working on it for a while today, I really hate the curved glass. Man, what a pain to scrape!

As I was into the tank up to my armpit, I began to dislike the extra height also!

originalozzyo
03/11/2007, 11:25 PM
Well, i got the bowfront. sheesh that was alot of dollars to drop. I'll be starting construction of all the cabinetry once i get the room finished where it's supposed to go. Look for a thread on the construction in a month or so. Thanks.

fish 511
03/12/2007, 12:01 AM
I think you will like the bowfront. Once you get aside from the little manification, I think you will love it becausse a bowfront is a piece of art, not just a box

BTW, I have a square tank and a bowfront, so I dont mean to bash neone :)