PDA

View Full Version : Anemone capacity

Scoobydude825
03/09/2007, 06:35 PM
I've been searching for a while and I can't find any rules about how many corals or anemones you can keep in a tank. For fish you have the inch-gallon formula, is there anything like this for an anemone or coral. I'm curious becasue I eventually want to add them to my reef.
Thank you

Slakker
03/09/2007, 09:43 PM
the inch-gallon formula is not really a good estimation tool for fish...so...probably not good for corals or anemones, either.

From what I understand, corals and anemones create very little bioload for the biological filtration to keep up with, so most of what you've gotta worry about is compatibility between different species of coral or anemone, or both. Some corals will chemically fight with each other, as will some anemones, and some corals with fight with anemones and vice versa.

Scoobydude825
03/10/2007, 04:58 PM
Cool thank you. I thought that was the case but I wanted to mkae sure..I'm not planning on getting more than 2 or 3 for my tank.

davocean
03/10/2007, 05:20 PM
In a 55 I'd stick w/ one.
They do grow, and you need a buffer zone between them and your corals as they will sting them.

GSMguy
03/10/2007, 05:31 PM
3 anemones in a 55 gallon sounds like you want to try multiple pairs of clowns
is that true?

Scoobydude825
03/11/2007, 04:27 PM
I don't know how many I want that's why I asked the question. I just think they are pretty. I just have one clownfish so I'm not looking for the anemone to be a host. But I'll stick with one. But I can have a few corals too? I really just want some color in my tank..it looks so barron right now.

davocean
03/13/2007, 11:19 PM
Your tank looks still fairly new for nem right now.
You may want to add more rock than what I see in gallery pics.
Shrooms, zenia, colonies, are cheap(kinda) easy ways to start off w/ color.
A bta may be a good nem 4 your tank in another 3-5 mo.
Takes time for color man, patience.

GSMguy
03/13/2007, 11:49 PM
one pair of clowns max in a 55