PDA

View Full Version : carbon--who uses it on their reef and how do you use it?

mdrumm
03/09/2007, 01:02 PM
good article. trying to decide if I want to do this

http://www.pets-warehouse.com/carbon.htm

Sk8r
03/09/2007, 01:08 PM
Carbon absorbs things: it can absorb good chemicals your corals need, which is why I prefer to run it only when I know or suspect I have bad chemicals [ammonia, etc] in the tank. It's always a good idea to have some on hand: I run it in a new ladies' kneehigh stocking, use and toss, placing it in a high water flow area---in my case, atop the return.

The minute you suspect your nephew's tossed his toy truck in your tank, water change, carbon and polyfilter.
When your corals are looking iffy and you missed a water change: carbon and test.
When you see a leather coral or mushroom looking angry: carbon.

mdrumm
03/09/2007, 01:11 PM
So your vote is not to run it "to get rid of the yellow look" but only as a treatment.

emoutz
03/09/2007, 01:46 PM
The carbon I use (brand escapes me) recommends only using it for 2-3 days a month since, after that amount of time, the carbon becomes saturated with DOC. However, it keeps removing trace elements for a long time thereafter. When my tank recently crashed, I used carbon for about two weeks (changing it every 3 days) along with water changes. Dont know what effect it had, but I'm willing to bet it didnt hurt.

adova
03/09/2007, 03:06 PM
I guess the real question is what is causing the yellow look to begin with.

Sk8r
03/09/2007, 03:13 PM
algae, mostly. Some dissolved organics. A really good skimmer does more to help, imho, and if you really want your water purified of all color, get a 1-micron cannister filter with a pump adequate to drive it and just run it whenever the water gets yellow. Do a water change first, then run the 1-micron, so as not to get into the habit of leaning on the filter for the look while letting your tank deplete of trace elements ---which is what the water changese help prevent.

tkeracer619
03/09/2007, 05:09 PM
I put it in filter socks and drop them in the sump. I have an area I can put 4lbs of it for complete sump carbon filtering.

Clown-N-Around
03/10/2007, 02:32 PM
I use it on a fairly regular basis. Partly because I have a mixed reef and I think it kind of helps to reduce the chemical warfare from the coral toxins. (I don't have any solid reference for this, so not based on anything scientific, just hearsay, which I'm sure you know doesn't stand up to much, Mike ;) )

Anyway, I did hear Anthony Calfo recommend that instead of using a large amount of carbon that is supposed to last 4 weeks, use 1/4 the dose and change weekly. That makes mathematical sense to me and I think it takes out more of the nasties and less of the positives.

Yes, I also dose trace elements since I know I am still probably stripping some of the ones that come naturally from water changes.

So, this is mostly opinion and experience. But it has worked for me.

mdrumm
03/10/2007, 09:37 PM
thanks!

dajum
03/11/2007, 11:58 AM
I've got 2.5 jars of the Marineland 1.87 Liter jars carbon if anybody wants it. $2 each.

Dave

bmb527
03/11/2007, 06:31 PM
I use it 24/7/365. It won't hurt, plus, with regular waterchanges, my tank was always spotless. Plus I use a good skimmer as well.

zerillit
03/12/2007, 12:49 PM
I have a mixed tank: anemones, stonies, & soft. I use Black Diamond 24/7. I change it the first of the month. I didn't know that it takes the good with the bad. Since I haven't "noticed" anything negative I'll probably keep using it until I learn otherwise. The only trace element supplementation I do is iodine weekly when water changes aren't being done (don't know if I need it or not but it does dissipate quickly). Water changes are 25% every other week. I look forward to reading others comments.

rehnberg
03/12/2007, 01:10 PM
I use Chemi Pure in between one of my bubble baffles. It keeps the water crystal clear, and I don't have to worry about changing it to often, every 6months.

adova
03/12/2007, 02:26 PM
FYI on the iodine - not recommended by Dr. Randy. I was about to start dosing it when I read this. Here is the article:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

Shawn

zerillit
03/12/2007, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the article, it's valuable information.

miwoodar
03/13/2007, 04:28 PM
I use carbon 24/7 at about half the dose recommended by the package (Marineland?). I run it via passive flow in a mesh bag near the spot where my overflow enters the sump.

If I ran ozone or had a better skimmer I would consider using it on a periodic basis like a week per month or something along those lines. However, I don't care to use ozone (my tank already has enough cords, fittings, and meters) and I can't afford a better skimmer at this time.