PDA

View Full Version : community service

Nina51
03/08/2007, 09:47 AM
well, scratch that idea. i have an entire spare office full of closed out criminal files. i need to take a day or 2 or 3 and organize these files. there is a least a year's worth. i just figured i'd put 'em in alphabetical order, into banker's boxes and stack the boxes in the spare office. i can't put them completely away because 9 times out of 9-1/2, the state files a petition to revoke probation and i have to draaaaag the old file out and prepare paperwork, blah blah blah.

so i'm sitting here this morning thinking hmmm....i could either get some of my guys from the jail to come over and help (i can do that because we are public defender) OR i can call in some of my guys who were sentenced to community service and have them help me.

what made me think of it is that the inmates are coming over here sometime in the near future to move furniture because we are getting new carpet. i suggested to my boss this morning that i could employ some of them to also help organize my files. but then, she reminded me...9 out of 9-1/2 of them can't read.

plan b is to do it all by myself and that'll be SO boring. now what?

Petie
03/08/2007, 09:52 AM
How many of them do you think you'd have to clobber in the head to make them a) quit hitting on you/proposing to you and b) actually work and not do some of the STUPID stuff you tell us about all the time ?

Your right it is going to be boring to do this by yourself, no sense of bringing the whips and chains to work if your goign to be alone!

newtophish
03/08/2007, 09:54 AM
I would opt for the community service route. I bet they would love the opportunity to do something besides pick up trash on the side of the highway.

VoidRaven
03/08/2007, 09:55 AM
So true Nina!

The local development corporation where I have my office at is a registered agency for getting community service workers. I'm actually one of the contacts for it. Half the time the CS workers act like it's such an inconveinence for them to come in and do the hours!!!

CSW: "Oh, well, I kinda wanted to do them all this week"

Me: "Well, we only have about 4 hours worth of stuff for you to do this week. You have until June to do the 40 hours, it'll just take a little time."

CSW: "But...um...ok, fine."

Week goes by....they never show up....we "terminate" them back to the Court....and the cycle of life continues.

Once in a while we get some good people who we really work with to get their hours done quickly but 90% of the people who we get sent to us are dumber than a bag of hammers!

dkh0331
03/08/2007, 10:05 AM
Scan 'em and shred 'em. You can rent a high-speed scanner for a week or two and have your criminals do it for you.

Nina51
03/08/2007, 10:26 AM
criminals? what criminals? they're all innocent, remember? :p

oh no no petie, whips and chains are out. i can only take one marriage proposal at a time. i'm afraid whips and chains would involve SEVERAL. ;)