PDA

View Full Version : Reefing it on a budget

Ovuel
03/08/2007, 01:55 AM
Well I have had very good luck with FW tanks in the past so a few years ago I decided to start a SW tank. Unfortunately for me the only advice I had to go off of was the guy at the LFS and ended up scrapping the tank a month and a half later. When I tore down that tank I told myself that I was happy with my FW tanks and didn't need a SW tank to be happy with my "hobby". So true to form, here I am starting another SW tank, this time armed with much more knowledge and knowing where to go to find the right answers to questions.

I face a different dilema this time then I did last time, as being a full time student (even with my GI Bill) I am a little thinner in the wallet then I used to be. So far I have a 20 Gal Long (allowed me to get cheaper lighting), 20 lbs LS (Bahama Oolite), 10 lbs Cured Fiji LR (Straight out of our display tanks at work), Current USA Nano Skimmer (Supposed to be good to 30 gallons...84GPH), 2 powerheads, a heater....and there is something else.....oh yes, a 30" Aqualight Deluxe Series - Single Linear Strip (60 watt 50/50 straight pin base compact fluorescent lamp). My LR is split between the two sides of the tank, and the tank has been cycling since 3/4/07. I will probably add another 5 lbs of LR, but I'm not sure I want to go much over 15lbs unless I need to for bio reasons (keep in mind the budget).

Outside of the normal cleaning crew, which I haven't finished nailing down yet, I am having trouble figuring out what exactly I want in my tank. I originally though about 2 black perculas, with an anemone and a Xenia, however I don't know if my lighting will be sufficient enough to keep my host from ghosting. I would basically be happy with almost anything that I could breed in a tank this size, however I would still like to keep them invert safe if possible. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and please remember that even with my 20% employee discount I'm working on a budget.

Thanks in advance,

-Ov

bertoni
03/08/2007, 02:06 AM
The 20L is likely okay for two percula, although perhaps a bit small. I wouldn't add an anemone, not a host anemone, anyway, because they can get very large. They also often require bright lighting. Some of the smaller goby fishes might be a good idea, as well. Xenia should be okay, too.

Shagsbeard
03/08/2007, 08:42 AM
Adding base rock at this point would be a good idea... in a couple months it will be just as good as cured live rock. I'd stick in about 10 lbs of it... maybe 20. I second the "no anemone". Not until your tank stabalizes for about a year. Keep it really simple for the first year, then slowly get adventurous.

Ovuel
03/08/2007, 11:10 AM
I appreciate the tips. Another 10 lbs of Cured Fiji rock is probably out of the question, however I know I can dig up some base rock that I can afford.

Question 1: Since I know my LR is 100% cured, chances are my tank will only experience a small cycle at worst?

Question 2: If I add 10 lbs of base rock and it is not cured will this throw my tank into a cycle?

Question 3: What are some of the smaller sized fish that are "easier" to get to breed in captivity?

Thanks,

-Ov

chrisstie
03/08/2007, 11:11 AM
I would expect a small cycle and test no matter how you do your rock but I don't really know enough to answer 1 and 2 specifically.

As far as fish breeding? check out the clownfish and anemone forum- there are many who have had success with a mated pair of clowns and raising their fry.. the pictures are adorable!

Ovuel
03/08/2007, 11:30 AM
Thanks to reading this expansive forum I was able to find a cheaper place to shop then I had been using before which has led me to compile question 4.

Question 4: If I were to go with 4a over 4b would I greatly increase what I could keep in my tank and begin approaching anemone reqs?

4a - 30" 130W (2-65 watt) Dual Strip Compact Fluorescent Light Fixture
(Free item pre-installed to the fixture is 1x 65W CF 12000K bulb, 1x65W CF Actinic Blue bulb, 2xBluemoon Double LED.)
http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=338

4b - 30" Aqualight Deluxe Series - Single Linear Strip
(60 watt 50/50 straight pin base compact fluorescent lamp)
http://fishsupply.com/30aqdesilist.html

bertoni
03/08/2007, 03:29 PM
1. You might never see any signs of a cycle.

2. If the base rock contains organic matter, it might cause some cycling effects.

3. Clowns are a common first choice. Neon goby fish will also spawn easily, and aren't that hard to raise.

4. You'd get more soft coral growth, and perhaps get some low-light stony corals to grow. If you were lucky, an anemone would be okay, but be warned that it might outgrow the tank, depending on the species and feeding.

cdangel0
03/08/2007, 03:52 PM
1. Possibly a tiny cycle depending on how whether the rock is truely fully cured and how long the drive home from the store is.

2. Base rock is completely dead, and usually bought completely dry - so it will not cause a cycl;e. make sure you rinse it thoroughly before putting it in the tank.

3. No ideas about breeding fish. I have 2 of almost everythign I have and they only thing they reproduce is poo.

4. Go with option 4a - nice set up will allow you to keep all softies and some anemones. Again be cautions with the anemone, they do get big, and sometimes very fast. Only directly feed once a week if you decide to get one.

zoomfish1
03/08/2007, 04:29 PM
130w of PC light would allow for the keeping of an anemone, but after the tank has matured for 8-12 months. While you wait for time to pass, study up on the different species and decide which one you would want.

BTA's are probably the easiest of the nems to care for, but still are regarded as "difficult" to keep. With proper husbandry and a little experience under the belt, you should do fine when the time is right.

I'm glad you are interested in keeping anemones. They are the reason I started my first saltwater tank almost 7 yrs ago. Welcome to the hobby. Oh, and I know everyone has to work somewhere!!

bertoni
03/08/2007, 04:46 PM
Some anemones would be fine with 130 W PC. Some BTA seem to be okay with that, for example. Other species or individuals wouldn't be very happy with that. My BTA is under 175 W metal halide.

zoomfish1
03/08/2007, 05:22 PM
On a 20L, I think he would be OK. My rbta is under 500w of halides and still reaches up to the light. Although 130w of PC would not be ideal, I think the nem would thrive slowly.

lakwriter
03/08/2007, 05:52 PM
Not that you're asking, but I'd ditch the current USA skimmer...they're trash IMO.

As for breeding, they say Bangaii cardinals breed easily in captivity.

Ovuel
03/08/2007, 10:52 PM
I want to thank everybody for all of their input. This is by far one of the warmest forums I have ever been to and I appreciate so many people weighing in even if they are repeating some of the same things. For that I thank you.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9429178#post9429178 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lakwriter
Not that you're asking, but I'd ditch the current USA skimmer...they're trash IMO.

The jury is still very much out on the Current USA Skimmer. It doesn't arrive until tomorrow, so my plan was to give it a month and see how it does. If I begin having frequent water issues, I will know that I need to ditch it and actually buy a nice one. By the time I start adding fish in about 6 weeks or so I will have a pretty good idea if this thing is going to be able to support the load I need it to. If not, by then I will be over the initial financial load that starting a new tank provides and be able to afford a decent one. I figured for $28 including shipping and handling, it would suit a QT/Med tank if it doesn't work out for this one.

I do appreciate the suggestion.

bbehring
03/08/2007, 11:05 PM
If you can get your money back on the skimmer or trade up now before you open and use it I would.

4a is a much better selection for your your softies.