PDA

View Full Version : My Pinktail Trigger smiles (anybody else's?)

hrdneglcry
03/06/2007, 07:46 PM
Well I bought my 7" Pinktail Trigger on Friday. I put it in my 120 with my 5-6" Queen Trigger. The tanks was divided in half with eggcrate, and suction cups. Each fish had it's own side. Well I just took out the divider, and I do not think that it is going to work. I kept my Queen with a like sized Black Durgeon (same size as her) for 3-4 days before she started nipping, and harrassing him. This Pinktail is much larger though. The Queen just tried to go into the Pintail's cave, and the Pinktail got aggressive, and scared the crap out of the Queen. I do not expect that to last though as this Queen seems to learn, and build confidence every day.
Anyway, this new Trigger (The Pinktail) lifts his lips, and shows his teeth! Anybody elses Pinktail do that? I have never seen this before. Two beautiful rows of white teeth. I have seen it 2, or 3 times already.
OK I am amding this post as I still have time. The Pinktail just almost made the Queen jump out of the tank. I still do not think though that he will remain on top. The Queen just has not figured him out yet.

hrdneglcry
03/11/2007, 09:52 AM
Well I am still trying to get video of my PT Trigger bareing it's teeth.
But I can say that this might be the meanest Trigger I have ever owned. Maybe because it is one of the largest? It is 7", but I also have a 7" Fuscus Trigger that I thought was mean.
I have read about Triggers biting airline tubing, and biting the actual aquarium. But usually Queen Triggers, or Undulate Triggers are being described. Pinktail's are supposed to be the most docile of all Triggers.
Well, all I know is that mine overtook my Queen. I had to divide them again.
I thought my Fuscus was my meanest Trigger, but this Pinktail is something I have not seen before.
Anyway, not really a big suprise as Triggers have varying personalities, and I am not disappointed with my buy. I will try to get him to smile. But here he is...................... Click on PIC to play video

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h80/hrdneglcry/75%20gallon/th_P3100138.jpg (http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h80/hrdneglcry/75%20gallon/?action=view&current=P3100138.flv)

mattyice
03/11/2007, 10:49 AM
my bluethroat blows kisses lol

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b176/mpitzo/IMG_0939.jpg

but thats it, my triggers are laid back and i though pink tails were supposed to be the same way, i guess not

hrdneglcry
03/11/2007, 05:31 PM
Actually Pinktails are supposed to be laid back. But you know every fish is different. I have heard of people with Queen Trigger's, and the owners have said the the Queen was a big wuss. Of course there are also horror stories of the aggression, and havoc that Queens can wreak.
When your Bluethroat blows kisses does he hit the glass? My Pinktail bites the glass. It is very aggressive. A few days ago it looked pi$$ed at me. Like I had no business being in the room! LOL.
I do like it a lot, and do not discourage people from buying Pinktail's. Every fish acts differently. I get my new Bluethroat pretty soon I hope.
Nice shot by the way......:D

mattyice
03/11/2007, 05:39 PM
thanks, nope he was just stretching so he doesnt bite the glass, he actually is a big wuss and got chased across my tank by my 2" female anthias

hrdneglcry
03/11/2007, 05:43 PM
That's funny! I have seen mine already (My Bluejaw). I really do not care if he is a wuss. Trigger's are cool enough that whether they are mean a Hell, or wuss's they are still really fun to watch.

mattyice
03/11/2007, 06:53 PM
the only triggers i really like are the bluejaws and the crosshatches, im just not a fan of the other ones

hrdneglcry
04/08/2007, 06:23 PM
I have a 5-6" Queen Trigger, a 7" Fuscus Trigger, and a 5" Black Durgeon Trigger. My 7" Pintail Trigger is the King over all of them. Today it unseated my Fuscus Trigger 'Blueline' from it's main house. So I built my Blueline three new houses, and I am leaving them together until things get too rough. hopefully they will not at least not in the immediate future. These are the fish in the 180 gallon tank. CLICK THE PIC.
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h80/hrdneglcry/Triggers/th_Photo001-1.jpg (http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h80/hrdneglcry/Triggers/?action=view&current=Photo001-1.flv)

danorth
04/08/2007, 08:14 PM
That blueline is big and I bet it will over-rank the pinktail within 2 months.

I like Triggers
04/08/2007, 09:15 PM
That last video I must say, looks way overstocked. Those triggers are chasing eachother the whole time. Is there any peace in there? I understand you have a 180, but I still think its overstocked.

TheSaltwaterGuy
04/08/2007, 09:38 PM
it does look overstocked, man. how many triggers do you have in there? I see you have alot of Nigers, did you breed them?

hrdneglcry
04/08/2007, 09:44 PM
No I have not bred Niger's. overstocked is when fish start trying to kill each other.

I like Triggers
04/08/2007, 09:49 PM
Well, Im not looking to start a huge arguement, so go ahead and do what you wish with your tanks, and I will choose to do what I wish with mine. I guess our definition of overstocked differs quite a bit then.

hrdneglcry
04/08/2007, 11:11 PM
No our definition of overstocked probably does not differ that much. IT WAS OVERSTOCKED. The fish were trying to kill each other....i just set it up that way b4 the video. Now I just overhauled the whole tank again, and took the big, and mean Triggers out. Also overstocked means what your bio load can handle. Too many fish, too much waste, insufficient filtration means over stocked. Also, when fish are little they are obviously not going to be overstocked as if you had the same number as adults. I will not let my fish just kill each other either. I am not trying to argue either. Thank you for your input. You were right. I was kind of just saying that I know how much is too much. . . . . when fish safety, and health becomes an apparent issue that's when I know some fish have to move out. :D

justinl
04/08/2007, 11:24 PM
thx for the vid! it was cool. btw it's not a trigger, i konw, but my foxface likes to bare its teeth for no apparent reason.

TheSaltwaterGuy
04/09/2007, 09:31 AM
I wasnt trying to start an argument. I didnt mean to come across like a jerk, but I was just making sure you knew it was overstocked, but now since you moved alot of fish out, there's no problem.

hrdneglcry
04/12/2007, 07:09 PM
It really was too many fish, but I just like to try to see what will work. In the short video clip they did eat together which may seem like a small thing, but when keeping large Cichlids many times one would forgo food just to beat on the other. It was very frustrating. I am happy with the results of trying these together. nobody got hurt. The tank has a much different community in it now. Plus I got some video of my two largest Triggers not only swimming together, but eating together. And I found out that my Pinktail is actually larger than my Fuscus.