PDA

View Full Version : RemoraZilla!

hesaias
03/05/2007, 10:04 AM
I got my Remora running on an external pump yesterday. 2.9 GPM @ 22 psi.

pressure is the key. 2.9 gpm (174 gph) is nowhere near what a Maxijet puts out, its really less than half the flow, but the Maxijet cannot overcome the nozzle back pressure. Ive got the pump outlet throttled to about 50% and my Remore is kicking out some really scuzzy looking foam.

schristi69
03/05/2007, 04:47 PM
What pump? Post some pics of your setup

r00onmac
03/05/2007, 05:23 PM
man ive totally been considering swapping my return and my mag3 on my urching to get more water pressure going on the urchin... maybe once i get two nanostreams for inside the tank ill do that... cuz right now my return is >65% of my flow...

builderguy
03/05/2007, 07:07 PM
Wait, I want to get some input hear. My Remora is running with a Maxijet 1200 and has NEVER performed very well. I use the skimmer box too. What would be better?

r00onmac
03/05/2007, 09:23 PM
builder,

with the design of the aquaC remora and urching more water crashing through the surface of the water inside the skimmer the better it will skim (theoretically) so what Scott has done is put a pressure rated pump with lower GPH that way the water is FORCED through the nozzle and through the surface of the water inside the skimmer... creating bubbles...

simple, yet ingenious deign, but not the most effective... either way it was what i could afford at the time (used) and its what i have.. it works Okay (ironically it worked better before i cleaned it)

my idea is to put a 780 gph pump on there instead of the mag3 ... thus forcing more water and making more bubbles... i may just hook it up for a day or two to try it...