PDA

View Full Version : Red bubble algae take-over

EngineerdBiff
03/04/2007, 11:06 PM
I've been out of the hobby for years, and just getting back into it. I have a new growth of red algae that must have hitch-hiked in on a few live rock additions. My 125g system is almost 3 months old, no other concerns (levels good). I've had a good crew of janitors, but they haven't been able to slow down this stuff. It forms bubbles, blankets the gravel, and some of the bubbles actually get big enough to cause the algae to float to the top with some gravel still attached. I would have to have to remove all the live rock and scrub it off (and skim the gravel and clean it). Any ideas or suggestions?:confused:

coralfever
03/04/2007, 11:25 PM
sounds like cyano bacteria (not sure of the full name). How are your nitrate and phosphate levels? More flow in those areas and lower nutrient levels will help. Also how long is your photo period. Hopeful one of the pros will step in and help you out.

EngineerdBiff
03/04/2007, 11:47 PM
Nitrate and nitrite zero, ammonia zero, don't have a test kit for phosphate yet. I'm being cautious about over-feeding, but I added a yellow tang and 2 new live rock 2 weeks ago, about the same time the red bubble algae started. I feed him Formula II (frozen veggies) every other day, and sea veggies on a clip on alternating days. Lights are running about 10 hrs blue and 6 hrs white (aqua medic T5s). Fish population is low (yellow tang, tomato clown, domino damsel, sand sifting star, 16 turbo snails, 10 Astraea snails, 15 Hermits).

Teknagen
03/05/2007, 12:00 AM
I had the same problem starting out. I got rid of it by turning off my lights for 2 days and added a little more water flow. Try some phosban phosphate remover also.

EngineerdBiff
03/05/2007, 12:13 AM
Thanks!

clevername2000
03/05/2007, 02:10 AM
This is just from starting the tank. Your water levels, and bacteria will be fluctuating.

hmello@bermexin
03/05/2007, 08:25 AM
The best remedy is to remove-reduce the problem, protein and or phosphate and to increase the flow to the affected area. If you do this your problem will go away with time. I have also found that the best critter to eat the stuff is the Cerith snail. I put six of these in my tank when I had an outbreak and they are like little vacuum cleaners. Red slime gone. Do not use any chemical that claims to be reef safe to get rid of this problem. If it kills the bacteria responsible for cyano, it also kills beneficial bacteria.

EngineerdBiff
03/05/2007, 09:29 PM
I increased the flow and cut down the on lights. Slight improvement, but at least it isn't continuing to propogate at a fast pace. I'll look for some Cerith snails. I noticed that most online FS offer the Cerith snail as part of the janitor package, I just haven't found any yet in the LFS. I also heard that Emerald crabs can be helpful. Time to start shopping list for the weekend. I appreciate the comments.

hmello@bermexin
03/06/2007, 07:59 AM
I got an emerald and he did absolutely nothing to the red algae. He is cool to watch picking at the rocks for other things though. when he is not hiding that is.

Driftwood
03/06/2007, 09:42 AM
It takes time. Cyano is part of a nitrate consuming bacteria bloom. Cyanobacteria is a natural part of a healthy reef and the nasty slime you are seeing will go away in a few weeks. If it doesn't then you need to look at these things: Cleanup crew, Water flow, & Feeding schedule. Your trates might be showing 0 but the cyano might be consuming them as fast as they are being created.

Dave