PDA

View Full Version : lionfish probably doomed

shabreeson
03/04/2007, 08:20 PM
i have a 8 inch lion fish and for the passed month he has not accepted food. i recently diagnosed him with hole in the head due to the small dibits in his head and lack of intrest in food. i put him in a quarentine tank and went through two full treetments without to much change. then he got ich. i stopped treatment of the hole in the head so i could deal with the ich and that was quickly resolved. two days passed and now he is swimming oddly on the surface wil more holes than ever on his sides.

i already tried garlic extreme but he still wouldn't eat

any ideas would be wonderful. i am using API pro series gereral cure for parisitic diseases

in case he does die how long should i let my tank sit so not to spread the disease of hole-in-the-head?

xxseawolf
03/04/2007, 09:51 PM
i have no help on lionfish(sorry), as for the tank some say 6-8 weeks. i would wait 8-12. i had a tank crash and i waited 16 weeks and no problems. i feel better safe than sorry(especially when this hobby cost so much) to risk. good luck

shabreeson
03/04/2007, 10:28 PM
thanks for the info

VolitanLioness
03/04/2007, 11:31 PM
What are you feeding?

How Much and how often do you feed?

With the HLLE (hole in the head), how did you change the lions diet?

Are you sure this is HLLE? How fast does the pitting appear, are they overnight?

Kaye

cloudjockey
03/05/2007, 10:41 AM
Get some ghost shrimp for him. I've never seen a lion not eat these things. They are a freshwater shrimp. Not the best over a lond time, but probably will help at this stage. What kind of lion

LisaD
03/05/2007, 10:56 AM
What are your water parameters?

specific gravity
temperature
pH
nitrate
nitrite
ammonia

If any of those are off, it could be causing the problems you are seeing.

And I agree with cloudjockey, live food will usually induce a lion to eat. Try gutloading first by feeding high quality frozen or pellet carnivore food. Acclimate slowly. I have ghost shrimp in my 120 FOWLR that have been there for months.

LisaD
03/05/2007, 10:58 AM
Also, how long have you had the lion, and what sized tank was he in? I wouldn't assume you have parasites. Get the water quality up, make sure nothing is harassing him...