PDA

View Full Version : auto top-off question

sgallagher7
03/04/2007, 04:50 PM
I was thinking of using a 5 gallon H2O bottle next to my 75 as a source of auto top-off water. Is it true that the water level of the holding container cannot be higher than the level of the sump water, due to siphoning action? I was going to use an aqualifter pump.

Joshua1023
03/04/2007, 05:43 PM
It depends on what you want to do. You could always get a one way valve. I don't know why its not more popular, but I just use a gravity fed ATO. I use a 5gl tank set higher than my sump. There is a float valve in the sump attached to 1/4"o.d. tubing. Works great and simple and effective.

sgallagher7
03/04/2007, 05:49 PM
thanks. Is the 5 gal tank just a bit higher than the water level in the sump? My sump will be 9" high when filled. The rest leftover in case of a power outage, overflow from tank.

Joshua1023
03/04/2007, 05:57 PM
Just get a one way valve and you'll be fine. Most lfs sell them for pennies.

shag26272
03/04/2007, 06:03 PM
why cant you put your container above your tank and the aqualifter below it ?

Shagsbeard
03/04/2007, 06:10 PM
Here's a description of my set up. I have a 5 gal glass carboy (water jug) with a rubber stopper in it. Two pieces of rigid air tube pass through the stopper (just drill the holes with a drill), one to the bottom of the jug and the other just through the cork to let air in. Siphon the water from the bottom of the jug with a flexable air hose. To keep all the water from going in, I have a length of PVC (1" x 2ft) which has a stopper in one end and the other end just below the water level in my return. Connect this to the short tube with some air hose. Now, when the water level is above the bottom of the PVC, no air can get into the jug so the siphon stops. As soon as air gets in the PVC, the syphon resumes.

Works like a charm with no valves, switches or electronics.

sgallagher7
03/04/2007, 06:11 PM
The tank is in the livingroom and I want to keep things as simple as possible. Dont want too many things sticking out the sides of the tank. A one way valve sounds like the thing to do.

scottwhitson
03/04/2007, 06:12 PM
sgallagher7 the end of the hose dumping into the sump needs to be higher than the water level in your top off container or you will create a siphon. I just set up my auto top off this weekend and am using the aqua lifter as well seems to be working good so far.

sgallagher7
03/04/2007, 06:18 PM
Thanks. That makes a great deal of sense. Since the exit water tube is not below the waterline, no siphon. Boy I really showed my newbie wings on that one. Thanks for the guidance.

scottwhitson
03/04/2007, 06:34 PM
Yep it's that simple trust me I sweated doing mine also until I set it up and tested it works great as soon as the pump turns off not a drop more comes out of the hose. Good luck.

sgallagher7
03/04/2007, 06:50 PM
Thanks. Just a quick question. What do you use as a pump. I see many people refering to the aqualifter.

sgallagher7
03/04/2007, 06:51 PM
neJust read your reply. I see you use the aqualifter. This newbie needs to take a break.

scottwhitson
03/04/2007, 06:57 PM
Yeah the aqualifter and the top of system from JBJ seems like a good kit.