PDA

View Full Version : changing tank trim?

dextermoped
03/03/2007, 08:28 PM
I have a beautiful 37g cherry stand and a 36g Bow tank going on top. The only problem is that the trim on the tank is maple. The contrast of maple on cherry is driving me nuts. Is there anyway I can change the trim out? The tank hasn't been filled yet as I am going to drill a couple of holes in it.

Benny

Clown-N-Around
03/03/2007, 09:35 PM
If the tank is inset from the edge of the stand, you could put cherry trim on the top of the stand to cover the maple trim on the tank. I have seen that and it looks pretty good.

Another idea that I have not tried- could you put cherry stain on the tank's trim?

You might ask in the DIY forum if you could safely remove and replace the trim without messing up the integrity of the tank (and how to do it).

Bovetek
03/03/2007, 11:21 PM
I saw a tank that the guy attached veneer to the frame. You could do the same with cherry wood. Looked very nice.

carbuyersfriend
03/04/2007, 01:27 PM
Talk to Jaw969 as he builds all kinds of stands. I am sure he would heve some great ideas. Ha added an additional 4 " to my oak canopy and you can't tell. See his thread on our site for the 130 base and canopy he built.

Thurge
03/05/2007, 10:54 AM
Most LFS that handle AGA tanks should be able to order you new tank frames. Its just a question of do they make it in Cherry. Bovetek's idea of using cherry venear is a great idea and it avoids the PITA of getting the old frame off the tank. Then you could use the same stain as the stand. Rockler in Denver should have it, as would Woodcrafters in Denver or Loveland.