PDA

View Full Version : I got a "Black Tip Reef Shark" for my 75 gallon!

Noonan
08/11/2002, 09:26 PM
Hehehe.
Im not that insane..Well, atleast I dont think so. Here my question...

A buddy of mine has a Leopard Shark in a 125 gallon tall. He's had it for 7 months and its still the same size. Since I am planning on making a shark pond, could I just get a leopard instead of a bamboo or cat shark? I want something that swims around a lot. Ya know?

No Flames..Please.

FMarini
08/11/2002, 09:56 PM
Thats okay chris
Cuz I hav a whale shark in my bathtub. I pull him out when i shower....duh

If you don't want flames then don't obviously post nonsense like this. These types of posts don't help newbies who come on these boards for help and see some &*%$-okay let me rephase this...mentally deficient person trying to keep this leopard shark in a tiny tank.
Just becuz it can be done doesn't mean it should be done
think of it this way, you too can have keep a grizzly bear as a pet (an i highly recommend it)...but why..does it make you cooler?
frank

ron4675
08/12/2002, 06:40 AM
Noonan,
On the leopard shark, goto a local public aquarium and see if they have one there. The Toledo Zoo has a full grown leopard in a pretty big tank (I'd say 10'L x 6'H x 4'D) the shark is about 5' long and that tank is TOO SMALL!
I couldn't believe it, because I too wanted one. But after seeing this I decided it wouldn't be good for the shark.

Here is another story, a LFS takes care of Herman Moore's aquariums, incase you don't know who he is he is an ex-wide reciever for the Detroit Lions, pretty famous guy, he had a nurse shark (Yes, they can get much bigger that a leopard) that out grew his tank, I believe the shark was around 5'. Herman couldn't find anyone or anyplace to take the shark and they had to euthenize the fish. Again it convinced my to abandon any thought of getting a pelagic shark. If a very famous, very wealthy person couldn't get an aquarium to take a shark what chance did I have once it outgrew the space I could provide?
Just my .02

The Unit
08/12/2002, 11:24 AM
hey FMarini, thats my sig.
" Just becuz it can be done doesn't mean it should be done"

JIM27
08/12/2002, 04:08 PM
Noonan:

If your friends leopard shark hasn't grown in 7 months he is doing something very wrong. Leopards I believe are pretty fast growers if they are in a proper environment. Adult leopards grow to about 5ft usually, you'll need a pond about 25ft long and 10ft+ wide for one. I doubt your pond is going to be that big.

If you have to have an active shark go for a brown(3ft) or gray(4ft) smoothhound(both close relatives of leopards). The brown would be best because of its smaller size(about 3ft). You could get away with keeping one in a pond 12ft long and 6 ft wide at the smallest. All smoothhound(including leopards) do best in temps under 70*F

I need to know the size(dimensions) of this pond and when your making it before I can recommend anything.