PDA

View Full Version : My new wrasse

"Umm, fish?"
03/01/2007, 11:37 PM
My new Scott's fairy is out of QT and doing well. I have a female to go with him, but I just got her yesterday.

A photo:

http://65.102.221.68/IMG_6206.JPG

bigsittingrock
03/01/2007, 11:39 PM
Cool fish. Does the female look the same?

tkeracer619
03/02/2007, 12:02 AM
great looking wrasse.

"Umm, fish?"
03/02/2007, 12:32 AM
bigsittingrock--Well, I thought so, as I bought this and another specifically as a pair. No difference between the two. It turns out the reason they weren't fighting horrendously is that one was so weak that it wouldn't fight (lasted two days :(). The new female is very sexually dimorphic. I'll post pictures as soon as she gets enough confidence to spend a deal of time out. She did eat some mysis today, but she was really skittish and ran back to her "cave" very quickly.

tkeracer619--Thanks!

Thurge
03/02/2007, 12:31 PM
Very nice. Where did you find a Female Scotts? I have several male Fairys but the only one I bought as a pair was the Exquiset and she stressed out. I would like to find another female for him or a female Finespot.

"Umm, fish?"
03/02/2007, 12:38 PM
Mike at Aqua Imports has been great at helping me track down fish. He helped me find two solarensis females (I think the wholesaler had to get a wrasse expert to confirm the ID) back before the evil tank crash. Very reasonable prices, too. There's no reason I wouldn't support the LFS with how great he's been.

fishykeeper
03/03/2007, 09:03 PM
Make sure you have a good sealing lid. I found mine last week dried up after leaping through a 2 inch space

"Umm, fish?"
03/03/2007, 09:46 PM
Bummer, sorry to hear that. I did lose a flasher wrasse to jumping once. I've since put glass over the display with eggcrate and fiberglass screening coving the back pipes pretty closely.

The female didn't survive QT. :(

tkeracer619
03/04/2007, 12:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9386689#post9386689 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishykeeper
Make sure you have a good sealing lid. I found mine last week dried up after leaping through a 2 inch space

Yeah......... this morning I go to feed my wrasses in my QT. No labouti............. I franticly search, nothing, the ground nothing. Upset I check the overflow!!!!!!! there he is, stuck to the drain, not looking very alive, and in just enough water to be covered.

I rip my overflow off the tank with water and all. SPLASH!!

I got water on the walls but my labouti is still ALIVE!!! He doesnt look to happy and a bit discolored but he was sure ready to have breakfast.
:cool:

Sorry the female didn't make it. Not sure about these wrasses being very hardy. I have lost 2 scotts so far in QT, I think they encounter an almost intolerable amount of stress in shipment from down under. Just a thought though. I will try again one day.

"Umm, fish?"
03/04/2007, 01:02 PM
I'm glad your wrasse made it!

Thanks, and that now make 2/3 that didn't make it for me. :( Horrible odds and I'm kind of sorry that I decided on this wrasse. I do want to find him a mate, though.