PDA

View Full Version : Cutting RBTA

zerillit
03/01/2007, 05:30 PM
I have four Rose Bubble Tip Anemones that are taking over. One is sold. I have read about cutting them in half. I'm going to try cutting one of them; that gives me two in case the frags don't make it. Anyone have any advise? I'm going to do this on Saturday & will be taking pictures & posting results.

herostar
03/01/2007, 05:32 PM
how much are you selling them for?

I'd recommend against cutting them... or at least do a little more research before you try it to see what results others have been getting... Maybe check out the anemone/clownfish forum.

wantsalotta
03/01/2007, 05:43 PM
I watched anemones get fragged at IMAC in 2006. The basic premise was make a clean cut, with a sterilized tool, and rinse well. It would be most advisable to have it removed from it's rock before cutting:)

I would like to buy a rose, if the color is nice, i would be interested in one or yours if you decide to sell.

scaast
03/01/2007, 05:53 PM
if it works we need to con Charlie Aguilar into cutting the awesome RBTA he has. What do ya say Chuck?

Thurge
03/01/2007, 06:02 PM
I never go the chaonies to cut mine. But you don't want to do it in the tank. From all the reading I did everybody says it will slime up like you wouldn't believe. So cut it out of the tank and let it rest for about 15 minutes then rince before returning the pieces to the tank.

zerillit
03/01/2007, 08:02 PM
Great info. I have read an article in Coral Magazine on how to. I need to look it up again.

gh0st
03/01/2007, 11:45 PM
Caflo has alot of great info on propagating Roses on the Marine Depot forums. Interesting stuff.

He recommends cutting, then putting the Anemon in a small Rinse System" with lots of water flow to remove the slime, then moving them to the main system.

Haven't tried it myself, but it sounds like a good way to do it.

CHARLIE AGUILAR
03/02/2007, 06:26 AM
Let me know on how it gos, I know that Ki has a friend that cuts the Orange bta that he has in hte back. Im still interisted in one when you have them ava!

zerillit
03/03/2007, 08:24 PM
I have one available at it is posted on the selling site for $45.

bigfoot610
03/04/2007, 01:21 AM
Check wet web media for rbta spliting a guy on there waited about 4 weeks and then with two 25% waterchanges within a week it caused his to naturally split..
i tried it then 2 days later i had 2 i let them heal up and did it again 3 months later he he up to 4 :P havent done it since and i traded my anenomes away cause they wandered too much but it does work like a charm!

zerillit
03/04/2007, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the info. The one I am selling was ripped from it's base into two by accident. I had to turn the rock he was on because he was stinging a montipora plate. He healed within 4 days. I've split them naturally 3 times now. Now I want to see if I can do it by cutting. The one that healed up is probably sold as of Tuesday night.

Thurge
03/05/2007, 11:27 AM
I tried every "natural" method I could find to split my RBTA and only succeded in killing a nice Purple tip Euphillia. I ended up selling it with its GSM clown when I moved. It was about the size of a dinner plate and very happy in one piece.