PDA

View Full Version : "Harvey's plumbers epoxy putty" anybody use it?

Agu
12/04/2000, 11:29 PM
Can't find aquamend epoxy putty, my local Home Depot and Menards carry Harvey's brand epoxy. It's Grey on the outside and green on the inside as I recall. Anyone use this for attaching frags?? If you've used it were there any problems(skimmer overflowed, everything in your tank died, entire tank exploded shooting water all over your home theater system shorting it out and burning your house down leaving you standing on street corners begging for spare change so you can buy one more sps, etc...)?

Or should I just buy that overpriced stuff at the lfs?

Agu

Frick-n-Frags
12/04/2000, 11:41 PM
I gave the $4 HD stuff a shot and it works.

It is a little less user friendly than the $12 Aquarium Systems stuff. It can't handle getting water mixed in with it quite as well and the resin (inner part) tends to stick on my hands a little. But, so you waste a little, you still have 2 backup tubes for your $12. On the plus (or minus for some) side, it sets up faster. I like that. It also puts out some heat when it cures. (not a big deal, just curious)

Agu
12/04/2000, 11:55 PM
What brand are you using? I'd be more comfortable (less paranoid) with specific product results.

Agu

Northern Reef
12/04/2000, 11:59 PM
Agu, I've use the Harvey's brand from Home Depot with no problem many times.

Frick-n-Frags
12/05/2000, 12:14 AM
I'm sorry Agu for being so nebulous, I was talking about the $3.99 Home Depot "Harvey's Plumber's Epoxy Putty" in the Net Wt. 4 OZ. (114g) tube, Part No. 044210, I only took the second and third last tubes in the bin so as not to be a total hog. And that's all the specifics I can think of.;)

Agu
12/05/2000, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the info.

Agu

Staceon
12/05/2000, 09:38 AM
Agu,

Just wanted to chime in that I too use Harveys Epoxy with the blue and white label with no probelms. Wanted to add, it looks gray when you mold it, but after a week(days I cant remember) it turns white in the tank.

Planoi
12/05/2000, 11:09 AM
I have use Devcon White Epoxy Putty S-80, green on the outside and off white on the inside, and have yet to see any ill effect. Other than the color it looks and feel a lot like the TLF Aquastick and it is half the price. So I imagine it will be about $3-4 in the US.

Smthnfishy
12/05/2000, 11:16 AM
I also use Harvey's putty, Saves some money in this rather expensive hobbie of ours.
Erik

KW
12/05/2000, 02:19 PM
I can't comment on Harvey's but, when it comes to epoxy I seek out the Devcon brand.

Generally, I use superglue if possible. I find it's easier to use, looks better, and is easier to remove. Sometimes epoxy is the only choice.

therman
12/05/2000, 03:00 PM
and of course this thread pops up the day after i pay $14 for the TLF stuff.....

:P

skull
12/05/2000, 03:06 PM
its safe, no problems here.

newkie
12/05/2000, 03:55 PM
FWIW I've used the devcon stuff and I found that it tends to be less cohesive (aka lots of little flakes fall off the main chunk of epoxy). This doesn't happen with the hobby stuff.

KW
12/05/2000, 04:18 PM
Greenbud,

Are you talking about this stuff? http://www.devcon.com/devconsearchresultframe.cfm

I like Devcon because it is the one brand I have used that does not flake.

bigben
12/05/2000, 04:34 PM
Same here, Thermna, although I went with the "cheap" grey TLF. That's the last time I'm doing that. I've been wondering for months if anyone used hardware store putty.

While we're on the subject of cheap deals, who in here uses silicone from the hardware store? Must I use that overpriced "Aquarium Safe Silicone" that doesn't last long? Thanks for the heads up y'all!

Ben

tszetela
12/05/2000, 04:40 PM
I have used it for the last three years. When I first saw it at HD I got the phone number and gave them a call. The chemist I spoke with said it is reef safe... BUT not to use a large amount at any one time due to the products tendency to reduce oxygen levels while curing.

I have used an entire tube (the large one)at one time in my 90 gal with no ill results (except my skimmer going flat for a couple hours.)