PDA

View Full Version : Help with lighting suggestion

harday
02/28/2007, 08:20 PM
I just set up a 90g (AGA - 48" long by 24" high), and I bought a Coralife Lunar Aqualight for it. The moon lights don't work, and I really don't like the light. Please help me select a new light. I want the clean, full hood look. I have read and read on here, but I'm a lighting idiot. Tank is a glorified FOWLR. I order the package from TBS, which came with a lot of soft corals. I plan to keep these and add some more. See pic below. I don't want MH - it's overkill and I don't want the heat. Any suggestions? I really liked the Aqualight in theory - clean look, daylight and actinic, and moon lights, all with separate cords for timers - but I just don't like it up and running. I could really use some help here!
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/51379resized_1_6_1.JPG

Capt_Cully
02/28/2007, 08:29 PM
ask at your LFS if someone makes canopies. with retrofit lighting, and it being a simple rectangle design, you might be able to get away cheaper than you think.

harday
02/28/2007, 08:32 PM
I'm not really concerned about cost - I just want a good look and something that handles everything other than very light demanding corals, which I will not have. I am reading on T5's, but again, I'm a lighting idiot. I really hope someone can give me some good suggestions, and again, for the sake of argument assume cost is not a concern.

kodyboy
02/28/2007, 09:50 PM
aquactinic 5 bulb t5 fixture, good reflectors, good bulbs, active cooling, nice finished look, not too costly. aquariumspecialty.com

sndwave80
02/28/2007, 09:52 PM
Go with (2) 250watt MH and (3) 110watt VHO. This is enough power and options to maintain a variety of corals.

kodyboy
02/28/2007, 10:14 PM
I prefer t5s to metal halide bulbs/vhos. I like the color better, no heat issues, and they can fit into smaller spaces. With good reflectors, bulbs and active cooling (a fan) T5s rock!

harday
03/01/2007, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the replies - is the Teklight any good? Read some about the 4 x 54 watt T5 (HO). Is this enough to keep softies? The aquatinic recommended above is a 5 bulb - is that necessary? I guess either way I would need to buy moonlights separately. I simply don't what MH, so I guess T5's it is. Just need to be sure I am buying the right fixture.