PDA

View Full Version : Bristle Worms and you

SquidHC
02/28/2007, 02:23 AM
I just got another 40 lbs of some really beautiful rock full of caves and of coarse I found and killed like 3 bristle worms already... How can I get rid of these little bastards?

Sk8r
02/28/2007, 02:32 AM
Why would you? They're worth their weight in gold in a reef. I must have hundreds.

alzika
02/28/2007, 02:32 AM
Why are you getting rid of them?

They are beneficial...

magdelan
02/28/2007, 03:24 AM
They are the hitchhikers of the clean up crew!!! They eat uneaten food, they move your sand, they clean the detritus in and on your rocks. Do you want them to do your water changes too??? The are very beneficial to your ecosystem!!!!

cartouche
02/28/2007, 06:54 AM
Murderer!!!

Bristleworms are cool !!

Shagsbeard
02/28/2007, 08:17 AM
They do sell bristle worm traps... and there are many fish that will eat them. Get one of those and you'll never see another worm. You'll still have them, but you'll never see one.

reefworm
02/28/2007, 11:57 AM
Leave the worms! Polychaete worms are, as many have mentioned, valuable members of your clean up crew. For years they got a bad rap because people would see them on their corals or clams and blame them for the animals' demise. In fact the worms are eating dead or dying tissue we've yet to notice. Just doing their clean up thing. Think of the fact that expensive detrivore kits include bristleworms - and you just got them "for free":D

punk*star
02/28/2007, 04:59 PM
When I started my saltwater tank, I found a bunch in my live rock and in the turbo snails that fell off the glass. I got a Coralife trap to catch them. It worked pretty good. I have since done some research and have added some to my tank and refuge. I would personally leave them in your tank as part of the clean-up crew.

Just my 2 cents.

Lydo
02/28/2007, 05:29 PM
Well, I know they are very helpfull but I was starting to see too many for my liking. I would feed my serpent starfish a nice piece of shrimp and there would be about 3 dozen worms that would go after it too. I didn't like that. For some reason I wasn't seeing as many for the last little bit. I found out that a fish that I put in actually eats them. The long nose hawk fish is the cool guy that did it. I still have lots of them because he can't keep up with all of them but he does controll the population. Plus this fish looks awsome.

SquidHC
02/28/2007, 07:03 PM
Alright Ill leave em be. When I picked up the first big chunk of rock I got a finger full of spines so I figured I should get rid of em but if there a good thing then Ill leave them be. I just hope there is more than the five or so I have caught. One of them was around four inces long and pretty fat. Thats the one my finger met =( Thanks for the info =D

dwd5813
02/28/2007, 10:00 PM
i literally have a word of advice.

gloves