PDA

View Full Version : Occellaris Spawning Question

raoul
02/27/2007, 06:49 PM
Hello!

As the subject says, I have a spawning question.

First, a little back ground. Last month we saw our clowns spawning for the first time, and then we watched as they ate the eggs. I asked questions, and the concensus is the eggs were not viable.

I don't intend to raise the fry, I think there are enough of these types available and I don't think it will do anything to enhance the bloodlines, but if this is a sign of them lacking proper nutrition I wanted to correct it so I started varying their diet and upped the feedings to make sure she had the energy/nourishment she needed to produce viable eggs (in a round about way my mind tells me this would mean their dietery needs are being met).

I have not seen them lay eggs again. I am begining to assume that just because I haven't seen it doesn't mean it hasn't happened, I assume they're still eating them, or she's absorbing the eggs. For the past couple days I've noticed her belly fattening up some, and the two of them have been cleaning under the nem. I think I've even caught a glimpse of the ovipositor.

So, here's the question - how long before the spawn should I be able to see the ovipositor? It hasn't been fully extended, just catching glimpses of it, I think...

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)