PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Magnet + Dobie Sponge = Awesome Cleaner!

DT's_Reef
08/10/2002, 10:28 AM
I bought a Mag-Float cleaning magnet for my acrylic tank, got a Dobie scrubbing pad from the supermarket (has a rough plastic sheath attached to the outside of a sponge), cut one end of the plastic sponge casing, took it off, turned it inside out, and stuffed the cleaning magnet in it.

It works incredibly well without scratching my tank. It even gets coralline algae off (you have to scrub it several times first, wait 20 minutes, and then finish it off).

I had been using the Dobie pad by itself for years, since the plastic casing on the sponge works extremely well for acrylic tanks. I've never seen a product as effective as this in the aquarium market. But, I've never used a magnet with it.

Anyway, I can't believe how easy (and safe) it is to keep my acrylic tank perfectly clean. What used to be a dreaded chore is now fun -- ok, well, not exactly fun, but you get the point.

The Mag-Float easily goes around corners, and as the name implies, it floats.

Even if you have a smaller tank, buy the size roughly equivalent to the size of a regular sponge, as the casing from the Dobie pad fits nice and snug around it.

I might well be the last person to realize how convenient magnets are, but I thought I'd post my experience regardless.

Darin