PDA

View Full Version : setup quistion

bigsittingrock
02/27/2007, 11:02 AM
I just set up a 20g frag tank with 30lbs of live sand 25lbs of live rock. 10lbs of the sand was from my other tank as was all the rock. As long as I have no fish would I need a skimmer? I was thinking of adding a 10 gallon sump to it so I could add a skimmer but would that take out to many needed nutriants? I will add oster eggs and cyclops 2 times a week but the live sand and rock should suffice for that. I think Im adding the sump any way so I can place my heater in there and create more flow pumping it back in.

cardgenius
02/27/2007, 12:53 PM
With a tank that small, you can have fish either way and not need a skimmer. Just keep up on water changes.

Clown-N-Around
02/27/2007, 04:41 PM
Adding volume for stability might be a good idea if you want to keep corals in a smaller tank. I definately don't think it would be required, but it couldn't hurt. Depending on the number of different frags, if you don't want to skim I would run carbon to keep any chemical warfare from the various corals to a minimum. And, like cardgenius said, the smaller the tank, the more consistent you need to be about water changes.

bigsittingrock
02/27/2007, 05:24 PM
Thanks. I run carbon off and on. I dont want to run it all the time and take to much stuff out. Any one have a hang on overflow they no longer need?