PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy Water

kramleigh
02/27/2007, 10:15 AM
Hi all!

Set my tank up on Sunday, only put the hood back on today. I haven't got any sand, or media in the tank yet, just water which has been salted. All pumps have been running also. The problem is that the tank is really cloudy. Is this normal so early on in the tanks life?

Was thinking of maybe running some carbon? My main worry is that I haven't even added sand yet and visibility is really poor.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

taillonjohn
02/27/2007, 10:23 AM
maybe the salt is not fully mixed? did you mix it before putting it in the tank?

kramleigh
02/27/2007, 10:25 AM
No, I just filled it with water and put the salt in later. There doesn't seem to be a great deal of salt on the bottom glass anymore - but it did cross my mind that the salt hadn't fully mixed in yet. Is there any way I can aide this now?

What about the carbon suggestion earlier?

taillonjohn
02/27/2007, 10:30 AM
i don't suggest putting carbon in yet. SO I think the answer to your problem is that the salt is still mixing. Do you have a powerhead in the tank, or something else to cause water-flow? Today is Tuesday, if you did this on Sunday, it should be mixed by now..... is there any circulation in your water?

ionredline0260
02/27/2007, 10:45 AM
Did you use tap water?

kramleigh
02/27/2007, 11:12 AM
I used RO water and there's a SEIO in the tank M1100 and a MCE600 skimmer hanging on the side of the tank. The sump is also flowing back into the main tank at 3000 lph.

barbra
02/27/2007, 11:15 AM
The salt should disolve nearly immediately unless you accidentally put in way too much. New salt mix will leave a film coating on the inside of the glass though, have you tried wiping it off?

Could it possibly be micro bubbles from the skimmer?