PDA

View Full Version : Got these AC Adapters and they wont power up my fans - where did I go wrong?

johns
02/27/2007, 12:38 AM
I found a good deal on these Universal AC adapters and wanted to wire them up to use them to power up my Vantec computer fans. They wont work. Here is a link:

Philips PH-62092 1000mAH Regulated Digital Universal AC Adapter - Set of 2

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-PH-62092-1000mAH-Regulated-Universal/dp/B000MX2D3C/sr=8-1/qid=1172553153/ref=sr_1_1/105-5354034-5106846?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

I was able to pinpoint that the problem must be with this new adapter. I have another adapter running a vantec fan currently, and when I use that one, my new fans run fine. Just switch them to the new adapter and they wont budge. The method of wiring is really identical, but these new adapters cant supply power to the fans.

This was a cheap mistake, but I'd like to learn something from it. Why cant these type be used?

iflipsidei
02/27/2007, 12:51 AM
i just put my vantecs in, i think they need to be DC and i think those are AC

johns
02/27/2007, 01:01 AM
iflipsidei-

Yeah it just says AC Adapter in that link when I bought it, so I was wondering about that, But they are supposed to be used to replace DC batteries in portable electronics.

The top of the transformer says this:

Plug-In Class 2 Transformer
Switching Universal Power Supply
Input: AC 100-140V 60Hz 14W
Output: DC 3, 4.5, 6, 7.5, 9, 12V
Current 1000mA Max

There is a sliding switch on this transformer to set those different voltages, just like with the other adapter I have been using successfully.

iflipsidei
02/27/2007, 01:05 AM
the only problems i ran into was i forgot to switch the switch to 12v and i crossed the wires.

You didnt use the yellow did you?

silverwolf72
02/27/2007, 01:40 AM
some AC adapters have protection circuits in them. When a fan is first turned on they pull a lot of current so this may be putting the new AC adapters into a protection mode.

jtreath
02/27/2007, 08:27 AM
Polarity could be reversed as well. Try and switch the wires from the adapters to the fans. I ran into this when I tried to hardwire an adapter into a portable keyboard. I switched the wires and no problem after that.

energy_crisis
02/27/2007, 09:16 AM
I suspect reversed polarity as well.

shouldabenacowboy
02/27/2007, 09:18 AM
Do you have a multi-meter? This will tell you if the adapter is working or not.....

SBC

johns
02/27/2007, 09:48 AM
everyone-
Thanks for helping me try to figure this out, but it still isnt making sense. This came as a package of 2, so I have another adapter sitting here waiting for me to cut it all open. But it seems like it may not be worth the trouble.

iflipsidei-
Tried it with the switch at 12v and other voltages as well (I think if I use a lower voltage it will just spin slower anyway). If you are talking about the thin yellow wire with the white plastic 'clip' thing at the end, I didnt use that one. Regardless of that, I know the wires I've exposed on the FANS should be fine. As I mentioned, the other AC-DC adapter I have been using on a different tank was able to power up these new fans without a problem - I just unhooked the wires from the older adapter and held the wires to the wires I exposed on the new fans, and it works.

I'm aware of the polarity thing. The wires only provide power to the fans if they are the right orientation. If the wires are switched vicey-versy, you get power one way and nothing the other. Tried switching the wires from the adapter, tried switching the wires from the fans (which should really just be the same thing). Nothing.

silverwolf72-
I dont know anything about protection circuits, but I thought these fans had very little current draw, maybe 200-300 mA or so?

One odd difference with these new adapters though is that when I lopped off the end of the adapter and exposed the 2 wires, there was another thin insulated wire within each of the ends I exposed (like an insulated wire within an insulated wire). But I tried running the fans with just the first wires exposed (both polarities) leaving the other inner insulated wires alone, then I opened up the thinner insulated wires inside and tried those by themselves (both polarities). Then I twisted each inner wire together with the wires that got exposed initially and tried that (both polarities). Nothing???

silverwolf72
02/27/2007, 11:13 AM
They use 200-300 when there running, any electric type motor will pull a large amount of current when it starts up. When you first plug it in it is just a basic short JFYI. I think your just out of luck using those adapters with fans.

johns
02/27/2007, 11:21 AM
I figured I'm probably just out of luck, and out $14 + shipping. Not a big deal. But these things have a way of driving me nuts until I can figure out why it went wrong.

Also, I guess there is the issue of not wanting to make the same mistake again. If there is a reason why these wont work I suppose there are others out there that wont work either. Just need to know.

Icefire
02/27/2007, 12:36 PM
How much wire there is?
get a multimeter, it's 8$.

johns
02/27/2007, 01:10 PM
[How much wire there is?

I dont know what you mean??

Can someone refer me to an electrical expert to help figure out why a certain type of adapter wouldnt work for this application?