PDA

View Full Version : Is my Green Sinularia poisoning my tank?

stereomandan
02/26/2007, 06:37 PM
http://www.geocities.com/stereomandan/fish/90gtankb.jpg

I have a very large Green Sinularia in my tank (on the right side of the pic) and am suspecting it of creating chemical warfare. It is about 12" tall and 10" in diameter. It is a beautiful coral, but my Zos haven't been opening up all the way for quite a long time now, and my ricordias aren't thriving all that well either, just maintaining. My SPS don't grow all that fast. I thought I read before that some have had issues with sinularias and leathers in SPS tanks, or tanks in general, due to chemical warfare. Anyone have any input? I would appreciate the info.

The tank water parameters are great.
79 Degrees
Phosphates Undetectable
Nitrates Undetectable
Magnesium 1250
Calcium 430
Alk 10 dkh
Good water flow...
Lighting is sufficient I believe, but I'm looking at adding a few more watts possibly.

Thanks.
Dan

TitansFan
02/26/2007, 07:04 PM
Beautiful coral! I have one alot like it. My zoas are very near it as well as some monti. I have no problems with any. If you are worried about it run some carbon. When my zoas were closing up I took out the colony and gave it a good once over. Low and behold I found a nudi on it. What kind of lighting do you have?

Fishie Nut
02/26/2007, 07:59 PM
I have some. Run some carbon. Change it 3-4 weeks.

AZDesertRat
02/26/2007, 08:04 PM
Always run carbon in a mixed reef. There is chemical warfare going on between the sinularia and the stony corals and carbon really helps.

mg426
02/26/2007, 08:32 PM
I agree