PDA

View Full Version : lids for tanks???

Butchdawg14
02/26/2007, 01:37 AM
I was wondering if there is a lid or something to help limit the evaporation on my 6 gal tank???

or do i have to build one myself?? if so.....with what and how??

Thanks
Kevin

bmwardo
02/26/2007, 01:58 AM
Hi kevin, first off, if you don't mind me asking, is your tank running hot at all? It may be possible that with such a small tank it is heating up very quickly on the light alone that you are using. The evaporation is almost a must in order to keep your tank running at a consistent and lower temperature, especially in the summer.

If you are not concerned about this then you can certainly build your own out of acrylic. But if you are not the DIY type I am sure you could go into a small plastics shop with some measurements and have them cut it out for you to your specs and drill holes or add handles if you want for a little bit of labor and the cheap cost of the acrylic.

Your water will evaporate though and you may end up adding a small fan or something if heat becomes (or already is) an issue.
HTH

Butchdawg14
02/26/2007, 02:02 AM
well i dont have a heater in yet(its cycling and the heater is on the way) the tank is not running hott cuz im running t5's but i just want to cut down on evap......

Butchdawg14
02/26/2007, 02:17 AM
well also just now i realized.....that my water level went down like a half a cm in 5 or 6 hours......i know this because i marked where the water level needed to be so the salinity would be good......so if the water went below the mark then i will add in RO water and balance it out........now i know that is evap but i didnt think it was that bad....WOW