PDA

View Full Version : Help me buy a skimmer!

rmougey
02/25/2007, 09:20 PM
Looking for thoughts and suggestions from the local folks first.

In a few weeks, I'll be adding a 100 gallon refugium to my 120 gallon reef. It's my old 60x18x18 plex tank. Easy to drill for extra in/out flows and it's close at hand! :)

The refugium/sump will be used for a DSB as well as a place for my calcium reactor, O3 reactor, etc. I'm also planning on running a new skimmer. In the past I've used LifeReef, AE Tech (E.T.S.S.), Sanders (OK... a looong time ago), Red Sea, Gil's (Amiracle), and a couple of others that came and went. Of those the Lifereef and E.T.S.S. were good, but hoping for better.

I'm looking for a skimmer that can run outside of the sump, requires little tweaking and is oversized for my tank. Space is not a limiting factor as the refugium/sump will be in the basement. Therefore no height or diameter concerns. Could be gravity fed, but will most likely be pump fed off the sump.

What have you had experience with that you would suggest? I'm hoping to stay below the Bubble King realm.

-Rob

kiznile
02/25/2007, 11:52 PM
I would recommend my reef creations recirculating skimmers

cubuffs
02/25/2007, 11:55 PM
Deltec, H&S are all great skimmers... May be too expensive though.

bmwardo
02/25/2007, 11:59 PM
Sent you a PM about a new Euro Reef that I know is for sale locally.

jgonzz
02/26/2007, 12:04 AM
aqua-c ev series

rmougey
02/26/2007, 12:15 AM
Deltec was on the list..... certainly lots of good info on them. Of the skimmers suggested so far, what is it that you like about them? Was it a replacement for a skimmer that just wasn't cutting it?

Thanks Brandon... very good chance that it might be workable.

I bought an ETSS Dual 600 (No longer made) several years ago. It takes a lot of tweaking and has twin injection towers filled with bioballs. Seems like there should be an easier way to run a skimmer.

There should be lot's of experience out there to pull from in our group. Thanks for your suggestions and thoughts.

-Rob

BrokeColoReefer
02/26/2007, 09:13 AM
I have been extremly pleased with my MRC MR-2R. Outstanding build quality, and it skims the scales off the fish. Easy to set up, easy to clean, doenst need fiddling once you have it set, and the price was reasonable.