PDA

View Full Version : Regal Angelfish

murfman
02/24/2007, 02:21 PM
Who keeps one in their reef? How is it doing as far as picking at corals and clams? They say you can't keep them with other angels but what about dwarf angels?

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?products_id=655&parent_category=4&category_search=61&root_parent_id=4

messy1messmer
02/24/2007, 02:54 PM
i know Vikebron keeps one and he does great. most places condiered these to be the safest large angel fish for a reef. very hard to keep though

crisc
02/24/2007, 04:45 PM
I have one in my reef along with a Flame angel. They seem to get along fine. The regal and the sailfin tang go at it sometimes, but it is quick with no damages.

My regal did not eat prepared foods for 6-7 months. He would not come out for at least 5 but you could see him under the rocks hiding. At least I never witnessed him eating prepared foods. Then one day, he was right there with the rest of the fish basically begging to be fed. Maybe he finally tried a piece and liked it. He ate almost all of my zoanthids during that time. Never touched the palythoas, but I see him peck at the underside of one of my table acros from time to time. I have never witnessed him going after the clams.

Hope that helps,

Cris

pfish
02/24/2007, 05:03 PM
I had to remove mine. He nipped at the clams and zoa's, and organ pipe. He was really cool and I hated to part with him. I know others have had good luck with them. I just was'nt that lucky.

murfman
02/24/2007, 05:22 PM
hmmmmm maybe I will wait till I set up my 2.5 gallon pico with the zoas that I want to keep, before I put him in the big tank.

latinbeachboy10
02/24/2007, 11:40 PM
I have one i\n my mixed reef with no problems. eats well and looks great. i also have an imperator and majestic angel in there too... no problems :)

COreefer
02/25/2007, 07:48 PM
As an FYI, these fish have a very bad rack record in captivity. On top of that they don't thrive with aggresive fish (i.e. tangs, triggers, other angels) or overstocked tanks.