PDA

View Full Version : Moving Tank and Looking for Suggestions

Msoar16
02/23/2007, 11:57 AM
I'm getting ready to move my 120 to the basement where it will be hooked up to a 100 gal Rubbermaid stock tank. I'm planning on having the stock tank up and running before I start the tank move so that all the livestock will have a place to live for a couple days. So I guess I'm looking for thing's you all have learned moving your tanks. Here are a list of specific questions I have.

What should I do with the sand in the tank(3-4")? I was going to try and take as much water out as possible , just to above the sand, and hope that 4 of us can move the thing. Can some of the sand be removed before the move and just returned to the tank once it is in the new spot or will this cause problems?

Do I need to save all the original water or can I use freshly mixed water with the old rock and tank without causing any problems?

Does anyone down south want to help for a bit in a couple weeks?

Thanks and I hope to make a successsful move with all your help.

Clown-N-Around
02/23/2007, 12:17 PM
Having done 8! tank moves with my various setups in the last year and a half, I have reluctantly learned quite a bit about moving :(

The stock tank as a living quarters sounds like a great solution. I have used the 30 gallon rubbermaid tubs with a pump and heater. Having a stable temporary home is esential to a good move.

If your tank is glass, don't move it with the sand. Extra pressure on the seals is a really bad idea. I wouldn't risk it if it were my tank. If it is acryllic and you get guys strong enough, you could try it. Also, I have moved sand out (into buckets) and back into tanks without issues. Just be sure to drain off as much of the mucky water as possible. And be prepared to do a water change if your nitrates go up or your livestock looks stressed. I have usually done one 1-2 weeks after a move.

Have extra water ready to go. You will be surprised at how much you "lose" draining off the cloudy water and everything.

Jagermeister
02/23/2007, 12:59 PM
I wouldn't move it with the sand in there. As Clown-N-Around said, any uneven forces on the seals may break them.

Here's something to think about:

120g aga = 215 lbs
4" wet sand = 320 lbs

That's a total of 535 lbs, or 134 lbs per person if you try to move it with four guys. That's a lot! (think stacking 3 45lb plates together at the gym and carrying those around)! Plus going down a flight of stairs? The poor guys going down first will end up carrying a lot more than 134lbs each. I wouldn't try it.

When I upgraded my tank I ended up scooping out the sand into old salt buckets and washing the sand out in the curb with the garden hose. I read many posts where people lost eveything during a move or upgrade and disturbing the sand bed seemed to be the culprit.

HTH

murfman
02/23/2007, 01:05 PM
Pull as much of the sand out and put it in 5 gallon buckets. Move the tank and then put the sand back in, once it is set up. Yes, it will get mucky but it will settle down and the skimmer will pull some of the stuff out. Skim real heavy the first few days.

emoutz
02/23/2007, 01:55 PM
I pulled all of the sand out and put it in buckets when I moved my tank. That created a huge mess in the tank and I'm convinced it resulted in a lot of lost livestock. The sand was in buckets for a few hours in 50-60 degree outside temps.

That being said, when I moved my tank across the room (from a 55 to a 90) I moved the sand with a large cup and didnt lose a thing. If I were you I'd minimize the time the sand is out of the tank/unheated etc. so that more of the useful bacteria etc live through the move. I'd also drain all the murkey water at the bottom of the tank and toss it.

rmougey
02/23/2007, 02:15 PM
I concur that you want to remove the sand from the tank. Keep the sand wet and periodically turn it over or swish it around if you will not be moving it back into the tank for a day or two.

The fish, rock and corals will do just fine in your 100 gallon sump.

Personally, I'd take the opportunity to replace the water in your tank, that's assuming that you can manufacture enough salt water. Keeping some of the old water around comes in handy when you need to rinse sand or rock with salt water. As Christina indicated, you'll be surprised at how much you will go through!

Take your time, be thorough and your tank move will come off without a hitch. Triple check all fittings! :)

-Rob

VikeBron
02/23/2007, 02:20 PM
My suggestions. First, use as much as the current water in your rubbermaid so the corals and fish are not shocked more than neccessary. As far as the sand. Try not to stir it up or disturb it as much as possible when getting everything else out. Take the water out. When the sand is the only thing left, scoop it out into buckets or rubbermaids. Move your tank, put the sand back in, cover it with trash bags as you fill your tank back up with water. There will be some stir up but you can put a poly filter on your drain for a while to get rid of it. Can also use a canister filter to speed it along. Still be ready for water changes too.