PDA

View Full Version : Questino about using a 5 gallon jug

biggredd
02/23/2007, 12:30 AM
Is it ok to use a 5 gallon water jug for an auto top off if it has previously been used to store coins? I have a regular water dispenser type jug that one of my old room mates left behind and may have held change. Would it be ok to use it for my auto top off if I rinse it out?

spstimie
02/23/2007, 12:42 AM
clean it out with bleach and water first, rince well, let evaporate. but id get a new one.

Thurge
02/23/2007, 10:29 AM
I don't think change would contaminate the jug, but I would definately give it a good rincing. The biggest problem I would forsee is getting a Powerhead into the jug so you could pump the water out to your tank.
I personally just use an empty salt bucket and cut a hole in the top.

biggredd
02/23/2007, 11:08 AM
I'll just use a salt bucket that I have around. Probably better anyways since it has a handle.

roguemonk
02/23/2007, 04:21 PM
If you set up the auto-topoff with a valve instead of a pump, and mount it above the sump, you don't have to worry about the pump.

Brad

emoutz
02/23/2007, 04:24 PM
Where do you get an auto-top off "with a valve instead of a pump." Do you know where I could see an example of one online?

biggredd
02/23/2007, 05:20 PM
I am interested in both ways. I have a empty 5 gallon salt bucket. A couple of different pumps to use but was thinking of a very low flow pump since not it won't be a high paced pumping. A long while back I was reading an auto top off suggestion and it only called for one float valve. Recently I've been seeing people using two. Now i'm not sure. This is the one that was recommended but I have zero idea how to use it. Any ideas?

So the supplies I have are:

5 gallon bucket
small power head
This float valve
tubing

Now what?

mbunakeith
02/23/2007, 11:13 PM
exotic aquatics carries the float valve you are looking for. i use one for an auto topoff system on my tank and it works great. very simple. i have a 5g deeprock water jug (sits higher than the sump so gravity does the work) that i drilled a hole into, put a 1/4" nipple in and then ran 1/4" plastic hose to my float valve in my sump. one warning though. dont use it with kalkwasser to add to you system. the kalk will buildup on the valve and it will stick open on you and dump all of your kalkwasser into your system when you least expect it. if you use it for freshwater topoff, you will have no problem. i have had mine on my tank for a year now and no issues.

garretsoccer2
02/23/2007, 11:55 PM
Auto top off systems are super easy to make, both with a valve and with a pump. I suggest using a pump with an attached float valve sensor thats located in the sump. The benifit to this is that when the water gets low enough the pump will turn on and turn off when full. Just do a search online or check out cheap ones on the big auction site.

Cheers,
-Garret

Thurge
02/24/2007, 02:07 AM
I have two from Autotopoff.com and love. them