PDA

View Full Version : durso adjustment?

Shnabbles
02/22/2007, 05:49 PM
my tank just finished filling, the tank is plummed into the basement..... how do i adjust my durso so the water does not go up and back down making a sucking noise?

and there seems to be alot of air in the lines and is making a very loud sound... will this air work its self out or is it all in conjunction with the dursos not adjusted correctly?

dsandfort
02/22/2007, 06:14 PM
Sounds like your breather hole in the Durso is absent or too small. Try sanding down your plug on top so it turns freely in the "t". Then drill a hole through the t and plug at the same time. This will allow you to turn the plug to open or close the air hole and control the air entering the Durso.

Pretty normal for there to be lots of air at first until the inside of the plumbing develops the slime coating.

Shnabbles
02/22/2007, 06:20 PM
im not sure what you mean by the "plug" and there is no "t"

i have the aga mega flow kits?

DARKPHREAK
02/22/2007, 07:13 PM
Isnt there a small "nipple" on the top of the pipe, that allows air inside? That part should have been included with the kit.

Looks like this

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j51/DARKREEFTANK/megaflow_pic.jpg

Shnabbles
02/22/2007, 07:15 PM
yes there is a small nipple allowing air to suck in and suck out.... but this thing is still super loud.... its syphoning through the drain pipe....

any suggestions?

DARKPHREAK
02/22/2007, 07:18 PM
Exactly how much flow do you have going through the overflows? Whats your return pump size?

Shnabbles
02/22/2007, 07:21 PM
exactly im not sure yet havent figured it out.... i have a barracuda pump in the basement pumping up to the first floor... i t'ed off the return to push some flow through the sump also

could i be having to much return, or not enough return?

that water seems to have a up and down effect in the over flow unless i raise the drain pipe up a bit...

it also gets quite, for a few seconds... then all of a sudden wooosh loud again

DARKPHREAK
02/22/2007, 07:27 PM
Can you feel the "nipple" to see if its not blocked, your finger would get sucked if its working properly. Normally the up/down effect only happens when the nipple is blocked with something and there's no free air running through the pipe.

Shnabbles
02/22/2007, 07:30 PM
if i put my finger over the nipple, the water sucks down deeper into the over flow... i dont think anything is blocking it.. when the water comes back up i can feel it blowing out the nipple.....

any recommendations on the flow? to much to little?

DARKPHREAK
02/22/2007, 09:13 PM
The MegaFlows are rated at 600gph each so you cant push more then 1200gph from your return pump without having some problems. Are the drain pipes adjusted all the way to the top, extended completely? If not this also might cause a problem if your pumping near their rated flow.

Pull the pipes all the way up and see if that makes a difference and if it doesnt you need to figure out exactly how much flow your return pump is doing.

LeeMc
02/22/2007, 09:36 PM
If you are "plumb abd play" oriented you may want to install a small brass valve from which you can better adjust the airflow. Is the drain line from the overflow to the sump above or below the sump water line?

NanoReefWanabe
02/22/2007, 10:13 PM
having the same durso problem here...i have it pegged at too much flow for my drain...my drain is siphoning instead of draining...

if i back the return pump off enough that the water flow drops below the top of the drain, say halfway or further down the drain then there is no noise...but my flow is cut down way too far...so to the drill i go...have to add another drain in my tank..because buying a smaller return pump is not an option at this time..

dsandfort
02/22/2007, 10:32 PM
Ah..not a DIY Durso. There is a T of sorts if you look at the pipe below the nipple. This sounds like too much flow for the standpipe, regardless of bleeder hole size. Water level needs to be about half way up the horizontal portion of the drain. Any higher and it will tend to siphon. You can control this by backing off your return flow (something you might not want to do).