PDA

View Full Version : Picasso Trigger Question....

MayoKetchup
02/22/2007, 02:53 PM
Hi all,

hm, I was away on business for a few days.. had someone feed my fish... i know, a mistake...
at any rate, he forgot to feed it for 2 days...

and when i got back, it was nearly dead.. and it's skin is flaking off. looks like a mess.

i have noticed that it scraps itself against the rock or acrylic walls... as if its skin is itchy or something...

know anything that would cause this?

now it looks molty and discolored...

HELP!

MayoK

yoDavid
02/22/2007, 03:01 PM
looks like the end for him, unless drastic changes...

probaly not the food that did it most...

that rubbing means the fish has parasites or ick or something...

maybe a cleaner shrimp can heal him.

hopefully the pealing skin is from rubbing so much.

if he starts spinning, ur in worse trouble.

if water conditions are good, maybe he was just too weak for the shocking change.

if u took along time , carefully acclimating him, i guess its his time.

ann83
02/22/2007, 05:02 PM
I would actually be expecting high ammonia after you had someone feed your fish, especially if he overfed to make up for forgetting for those two days. Did you check your parameters to make sure the reaction isn't to an ammonia burn? If params are fine, you might want to try a freshwater dip and see if that relieves some of his itching. Either way I definately do a water change on that aquarium.

danorth
02/22/2007, 05:34 PM
FW dip would be more stress than cure IME. Copper & acraflavine in another tank if I was trying to save it.

Deacon
02/23/2007, 12:43 PM
2 days without food isn't a big deal. There has to be something else wrong. Somebody mentioned ammonia being a possible issue and I agree. Test the water.

Do a water change regardless...maybe something else is polluting the water.

Good luck.

Monkeyfish
02/23/2007, 12:57 PM
Test the water, do a 30% water change regardless and hope for the best. If the water parmaters are off you may also want to add some fresh chemi-pure or purigen to the filter path. IMO copper is just as stressful if not more so than a freshwater dip. At this point I think a little "stress" would be the least of his problems. ;)

I like Triggers
02/23/2007, 01:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9315540#post9315540 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Deacon
2 days without food isn't a big deal. There has to be something else wrong. Somebody mentioned ammonia being a possible issue and I agree. Test the water.

Do a water change regardless...maybe something else is polluting the water.

Good luck.

i agree. 2 days is nothing. ammonia or something else. i think something else. do some serious dub-C's (waterchanges)

saltyESQ
02/23/2007, 01:43 PM
maybe marine velvet?

MayoKetchup
02/23/2007, 06:18 PM
I've done a water change when i saw it, thanks everyone.

I try to avoid copper at all costs... worse case scenario copper treatment in another tank...
but lacking copper meds and a stabalized seperate tank, i'll defer to crossing my fingers.

he seem to come sorta back to life, with me around...
but last nite til this morning... breathing but unresponsive.

he was eating a little before, but now... just sitting there on the sandy bed... resting.. looks like.. .or on the deaththroes...

my lawnmower benny and the sand-blow-it-out-the-gill fish.. damn, i forgot that goby's name... are fine and thriving...
so was my picasso trig's.... but in 2 days.. severe change for the worse...

thanks everyone. i can only pray to the fish god, for a miracle.

hrdneglcry
02/23/2007, 07:23 PM
I think it's nitrate poisoning. My Arabian Picasso got it when I changed out all of the crushed coral for Aragonite. It looked liked something was between his inner skin, and outer skin. Almost like air. I quarantined him, and treated for Ich, but it was not Ich. Anyway, the quarantine worked. At about 1.5 weeks the bubble had burst, and it just looked like a light colored patch of skin, and that eventually went away. I agree with most eveybody here. Two days is nothing. I know people who purge fish (do not feed) for 5 days before shipping them to insure that the fish do not fowl their water on their journey. I would hospitalize (If I could) him in a smaller tank with adequate filtration, and no lights. Then just keep him comfortable, and watch him on a daily basis. In any event if he is not in a tank where light is needed by other animals turn off your lights. Increasing aeration almost always helps too whenever a fish is ailing. Hope this helps.

hrdneglcry
03/04/2007, 11:08 AM
MayoKetchup, what has happened with this fish? Update please. hrdneglcry